3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 2:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Export of video project on USB

Michel H Belgium

Before burning project on DVD's, I usually export files on my PC hard drive and copy them on USB keys.

I can then playback these files on my wide screen TV.

I am lost with all the possibilities of PE 11 to select file format.

If I select AVCHD and M2T: I get a .m2t file with a 31 MBPS rate

If I select AVCHD and MP4: I get a .mp4 file with a 31 MBPS rate

What is the difference?

Same question if I select MPEG and MPEG2 or HDTV.

The qustion behind all this is that I am trying the best ratio Quality and File size for USB recording

Thank you

• 1. Re: Export of video project on USB
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

MP4s are more efficiently compressed and are better formats for outputting video that you plan to play on your computer.

In fact, you'll get best results for computer playback if you use Publish &Share/Computer/AVCHD using the preset for YouTube HD. This should give you a nice, compact file that looks terrific.

• 2. Re: Export of video project on USB
            Michel H Belgium Level 1

Thanks for this reponse, but In fact, I am recording video output on USB keys TO BE PLAYED BACK on a wide screen TV (with USB interface).

I tried your suggested setting but the output is 1280x720 (which is OK for computer playback) but not so good on a TV with 1920x1080 HD capability.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Export of video project on USB
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Michel H Belgium

I see no reason why you should be restricted to a 1280 x 720 export of your file.

See Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second, if you want an AVCHD.mp4.

You asked

If I select AVCHD and M2T: I get a .m2t file with a 31 MBPS rate

If I select AVCHD and MP4: I get a .mp4 file with a 31 MBPS rate

What is the difference?

Here the difference goes to what your viewing device supports and quality of the viewing.

The first is likely to include an interlaced frame rate, AVCHD video compression with a .m2t wrapper format.

The second is likely to include a progressive frame rate, AVCHD video compression with a .mp4 wrapper format.

For the same imported file

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = M2T H.264 1920 x 1080i25 to obtain AVCHD.m2t file

Export's estimated File Size is 100.54 MB with the preset's default bitrates as target 25 Mbps and maximum 30 Mbps.

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25 to obtain AVCHD.mp4 file

Export's estimated File Size is only 62.81 MB with higher default bitrates, target 32 Mbps and maximum 40 Mbps.

You asked

Same question if I select MPEG and MPEG2 or HDTV.

Here the difference again goes to what your viewing device supports and quality of the viewing.

Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = MPEG2 1920 x 1080i25 to obtain a MPEG2.m2t file

Export's estimated File Size is 100.54 MB with the preset's default bitrates as minimum 18 Mbps, target 25 Mbps, and maximum 30 Mbps.

Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = HDTV 1080p25 to obtain a MPEG2.mpg file

Export's estimated File Size is 30.58 MB with the preset's default bitrates as minimum 4 Mbps, target 15 Mbps, and maximum 18.5 Mbps

If your player has a file size limit or a format requirement etc, you could select which of these works for you. All the presets can be customized

under the Advanced Button of the preset selected.

If your player supports it and the end product quality is there when viewing, I would suggest that you start with

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 (defaults) and then decide what next.

ATR