6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 6:42 AM by rabona

Hello,  RAW snaps too dark in Lightroom.

rabona

Hello,

I made a snap with D-Lichting automatic in JPG and in RAW format at the same time.

When I look to the snaps in Photoshop I remark a difference in histogram. Both snaps have the same wave length, not the same frequencies. The red and blue colors’ are a higher in RAW; the green colour is higher in  JPG!

Both pictures look to be the same, lighting seems to be ok.

The same RAW picture opened in Lightroom is dark, under-exposed you should think.

Could I get some advice to get solved this problem?

Many thanks in advance

Marianne

• 1. Re: Hello,  RAW snaps too dark in Lightroom.
          dj_paige Level 9

Yes, this is a known result of using D-Lighting when shooting RAW. If you want to use RAW, the solution is to turn off D-Lighting.

• 2. Re: Hello,  RAW snaps too dark in Lightroom.
            areohbee Level 5

dj_paige wrote:

the solution is to turn off D-Lighting.

That's one solution, but then you don't get the shooting benefit when D-Lighting is valuable.

Another solution:

* Boost exposure in Lightroom (and consider -contrast and/or -highlights +shadows too..).

Which solution is best?

* If you don't want initially darker photos in Lightroom: turn ADL off.

* If you shouldn't have ADL on in the first place: turn ADL off.

* If you don't want to have to decide if it would be better to have it on or off: turn ADL off.

* If shooting with ADL would be beneficial, and you're willing to apply compensations (e.g. manually) in Lightroom, and your're willing to remember to turn ADL off when it is no longer beneficial, then turn ADL on.

If you're shooting jpeg, or processing with mfr. software, you can be sloppy, and leave it on when it should be off (since firmware/software compensations are automatic), but in Lightroom, it will be more clear whether it should have been on or off.

* If your coveted highlights are blown - maybe you should have had it on. OK, yeah: you could also have manually down-throttled exposure, BUT there is a reason it's called Active Dynamic Lighting - it's intelligent (exposure drop is governed by meter reading), and immediately so - you: not so much (well, maybe you're more intelligent, but you're not as quick as your camera ).

* If your whole photo is underexposed, and will need to be boosted so much that it degrades quality (e.g. has too much noise in the shadows) - maybe you should have had it off.

To be clear: ADL (and the like) is an "ETTL" (expose to the left) setting, for those times when you are willing to sacrifice shadow data in the interest of preserving maximum highlights. If you're more interested in shadow quality and midtones, and it's OK if highlights are blown, then it's better to "ETTR" (and have ADL off). This is true whether compensation is done automatically, or manually.

Rob

• 3. Re: Hello,  RAW snaps too dark in Lightroom.
              DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

In addition to the info dj_paige has provided. The D-Lighting is an in camera adjustment that deliberately underexposes the raw data capture by about 1.5 stops to preserve areas of the composition which would otherwise be overexposed. In producing the jpeg preview the Camera Firmware make a correction to compensate automatically. Nikon's own raw processing software will also make the necessary.

Adobe as a third party software provider is not privy to this process which is Nikon specific. Adobe is using the raw data and therefore shows the underexposure as captured. You can develop a preset to compensate and apply at import. Another option would be to shoot RAW + jpeg.

• 4. Re: Hello,  RAW snaps too dark in Lightroom.
                rabona Level 1

Dear Rob,

ADL is off and I made again some snaps. RAW ( NEF) and JPEG are taken at the SAME time.

When I have a look tot snaps in Lightroom they look ok. When I have imported them in Lightroom they are still too dark = over exposed. What could be happen?

vriendelijke groet!

Marianne

Van: Rob Cole 

Verzonden: woensdag 29 oktober 2014 13:41

Aan: Marianne Matthys

Onderwerp:  Hello,  RAW snaps too dark in Lightroom.

created by Rob Cole <https://forums.adobe.com/people/areohbee>  in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6878930#6878930>

• 5. Re: Hello,  RAW snaps too dark in Lightroom.
                  areohbee Level 5

If not due to your default settings or a preset being applied (and not ADL), then I dunno. I mean the camera profile and other settings always matters, but shouldn't make it substantially darker overall.. Maybe Jim Wilde or somebody else has a clue..

• 6. Re: Hello,  RAW snaps too dark in Lightroom.
                    rabona Level 1

kind regards

Een vriendelijke groet!

Marianne

Van: Rob Cole 

Verzonden: woensdag 29 oktober 2014 14:18

Aan: Marianne Matthys

Onderwerp:  Hello,  RAW snaps too dark in Lightroom.

created by Rob Cole <https://forums.adobe.com/people/areohbee>  in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6879021#6879021>