3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2014 12:16 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12 freezing when I drag an effect onto the timeline

sconaomi

Hi.

I'm using the Windows version of PE12. I try to drag an effect onto an image in the timeline, but this crashes the programme, and I need to use Task Manager to escape. I then have to start my work again. This has happened with a variety of effects. The video is tiny, as this is a new project.

Sequence:

- Open new project

- Add colour matte background (image size 1920 x 1080, pixel aspect ration 1.0)

- Add jpeg (27KB, image size 300 x 300, pixel aspect ratio 1.0)

- Stretch image to make bigger

- Drag effect to image in timeline

- Freeze

- Exit using Task Manager

- Start again

I am using Windows 7 on a Lenovo W520 (8GB RAM).

I am getting around the problem by dragging the effect onto the canvas, but whenever I forget, I lose work. The fact that I am trying to drag onto the timeline makes me think that I used to be able to do this without a problem.

Any ideas/fixes?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 freezing when I drag an effect onto the timeline
          A.T. Romano Level 7

sconaomi

Have you updated 12 to the 12.1 Update of the program? If not, please do so. Does that have any impact on the issue that you are presenting?

Is there any particular effect or class of effects that you are dragging into the clip on the Timeline that triggers the problem?

Are you saying that if you drag the effect into the image in the Edit area monitor instead of dragging the effect into the Timeline clip, the problem

does not exist? Please clarify on that point. And, if and when you drag the effect into the Edit area monitor image, do you get an Adjustment Layer

pop up? If yes, are you saying Yes or No to the message?

What video card/graphics card does your computer use? Does your computer use more than 1 video card/graphics card? Please verify under

Device Manager/Display Adapters.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 freezing when I drag an effect onto the timeline
            sconaomi Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

I have updated PE, as per your instructions, but the problem still exists.

To clarify:

- If I drag an effect onto an image in the timeline, PE freezes

- If I drag an effect onto an image on the canvas, PE works fine

The problem does not occur with all effects, but I have experienced it with a variety. That is to say, not all of the effects that I have used and experienced this problem with are under one heading. Today, I used Shadow and Highlighting, and PE froze. I restarted PE, and repeated the steps, but used Vignetting instead. No problem. I then used Shadow and Highlighting again to replicate the problem, and PE froze again. When I tried this yesterday, I used different effects, from under different headings i.e. not just from under Advanced Adjustments.Today, I tried with a variety from under different headings, and interestingly, have had less problems. NewBlue Cartoon is another broken one. I'm not sure what the pattern is.

Adjustment layers:

- If I drag the effect onto an image in the timeline and PE doesn't crash, there is no adjustment layer, nor prompt

- If I drag the effect onto the image on the canvas, there is a prompt asking whether I want to apply the effect to the entire movie

~ If I select 'yes', I get an adjustment layer

~ If I select 'no', I do not get an adjustment layer, but the effect is still added to the 'applied effects' tab

Under Display Adaptors, I have Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, and NVIDIA Quadro 1000M.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 freezing when I drag an effect onto the timeline
              A.T. Romano Level 7

sconaomi

Thanks for the follow up with additional details. Appreciated.

Everything seems to be working as described for when you drag the effect to screen or to Timeline file, with the exception of the

crash with the drag of effect into Timeline file.

Premiere Elements often has problems in a computer that uses more than 1 video card/graphics card. Is it possible for you

to disable the Intel or NVIDIA and determine if that has any impact on the issue? Also, if you have a NIVIDA Control Panel, does it

give you any options which are application specific?

ATR