13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 4:50 PM by Cadillacula

Media Cache Drive

Cadillacula Level 1

Considering adding a 4th drive and pointing my media cache files to it as everyone suggests - but I have a few questions for anyone currently practicing this ideology...

• I am assuming of all the drives this one is rarely the bottleneck - am I off on that?

• Looking to go down and dirty -- what is the minimum speed and capacity I can get away with on this drive? (editing shorts and features from 1080p HD footage)

• Can you specifically spell out (screenshot?) exactly what I should be pointing to this 4th drive - I'm always a bit fuzzy in this area especially concerning nomenclature (previews, media cache, pagefile, etc) and where to manage this stuff in the UI.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Media Cache Drive
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Moving to the hardware forum.

Thanks,
          Kevin

• 2. Re: Media Cache Drive
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

A SSD drive is preferably what you want if you going to use a dedicated cache drive. Normally a 128GB drive is enough if your going to use that drive for AE cache as well. If you get something smaller then you may not have enough room for the AE cache which really removes allot of the reason to get the dedicated cache drive.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Media Cache Drive
              Cadillacula Level 1

cc_merchant -- Wow thanks for that link - it all at once debunked a lot of the "SSD everything you got" hype that I'm always trying to temper and yet pointed out that SSD as a media cache drive (as with the OS drive) is a legit consideration. Love it.

ECBowen -- I never touch AE - how low can I go?

• 5. Re: Media Cache Drive
                Cadillacula Level 1

>> • Can you specifically spell out (screenshot?) exactly what I should be pointing to this 4th drive - I'm always a bit fuzzy in this area especially concerning nomenclature (previews, media cache, pagefile, etc) and where to manage this stuff in the UI.

OK so on this...

For this theoretical media cache drive...

Edit > Preferences > Media -- set both Media Cache Files and Media Cache Database locations to the new drive?

According to the fora I should set Pagefile to this drive as well? What/Where is that and how do I manage/direct it?

And just keep my Preview files on my export drive (currently my slowest drive)?

• 6. Re: Media Cache Drive

I wouldn't go below 64GB on the SSD. Media cache fills a drive quick and you will be cleaning constantly even with a 64GB drive.

Eric

ADL

• 7. Re: Media Cache Drive
                    Cadillacula Level 1

I wouldn't go below 64GB on the SSD. Media cache fills a drive quick and you will be cleaning constantly even with a 64GB drive.

Eric

ADL

Thanks man. Now I just have to comprehend what to point where.

• 8. Re: Media Cache Drive

64GB wont be enough for much of a page file and media cache/media cache database. I suggest you leave the Pagefile on the OS if you only get a 64GB drive.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: Media Cache Drive
                        cc_merchant Level 4

With only a small number of relatively small sized porjects, my current media cache amounts to 100+ GB. I suggest at least 128 but better 256 GB.

• 10. Re: Media Cache Drive
                          Cadillacula Level 1

OK 128 or higher - got it.

And with a higher capacity media cache drive still leave the Pagefile on the OS drive? (not that I know how/where to change the Pagefile location anyway)

And Preview files being on the slower (Export) drive still okay given the circumstances?

• 11. Re: Media Cache Drive
                            cc_merchant Level 4

Page File

Once you have removed the Apps you don't need, and cleaned up the disk by removing all those License.txt and Readme First.txt files or whatever they are called, setup your static page file on the boot drive. Windows 8 insists on using a page file on the boot disk to create a memory or crash dump, so it will be created even if you have another page file on a different drive. The suggested size of this static page-file is such that the sum of installed RAM plus the size of the page-file is at least 48 GB. So for a 16 GB RAM machine, the pagefile should be set to 32 GB. For a 32 GB RAM machine, it can be set to 16 GB and for a 64 GB RAM machine it should be set to at least 1 GB. More than 1 GB page-file on a 64 GB machine is not really necessary, since PR is hard pressed to use more than 26 GB of memory in my experience. For AE it may be worth to increase the page-file to something larger than 1 GB on 64 GB machines,

from Tweakers Page - Tuning Guide

• 12. Re: Media Cache Drive
                              Cadillacula Level 1

Sorry I read that page file bit as with Windows 8 you are stuck but with Windows 7 you have options. Still go for the boot drive location even with Windows 7 then?

Noted on the sizing info.

• 13. Re: Media Cache Drive
                                Cadillacula Level 1

OK just picked up a 180 GB intel 530 series SSD.

I'm going to slam it in tonight and ONLY point the media cache files and media cache data base to it.

And then just revel in the hugely obvious performance bumps I will be experiencing! *wink*