2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2014 2:08 AM by u.l.rick

ae cc (2014) render queue vs media encoder

u.l.rick

hey there,

when i render one of my current clips (1080p  animation with about 10min duration) from after effects with output format quicktime, codec h264 and quality 100, the file will have about 2gb (about 40 to 50 mbps). but when i send the comp to AME and choose "qt with h264 at 100" the file will have only about 300mb. even though the bitratelimit is at 20000 kbps and the quality slider is at 100 the result has only a bitrate of about 5000 kbps.

so here are my questions:

1: can i set the desired bitrate instead of the quality?

2: how can i get the "almost lossless" quality from the inside-ae-render (40mbps) in AME?

3: when i send someting from AE to AME, what about the rendersettings? is everything "on" or "as is" (like effects, proxies etc)?

thx...

• 1. Re: ae cc (2014) render queue vs media encoder
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So what is your purpose in rendering the H.264 file? That's a highly compressed delivery format not intended at all for archiving masters or digital intermediates.

I would try something like JPEG 2000 for 8 bit masters especially if you need an alpha channel, or use any one of several 10 bit or better production codecs for your masters.

If you want to deliver the highest quality product for streaming then you have to match the specifications set by your streaming server or they will recompress the file for you and you lose all control. The same thing goes for authoring for DVD or Blu-ray.

• 2. Re: ae cc (2014) render queue vs media encoder
            u.l.rick Level 1

dear rick,

of course you are right. for the actual masters i use motionpng or motionjpg . sometimes cineform. for shorter clips tiff-sequences.

but this does not answer my question. in the current case i have to have "master-like" files (for re-encoding) that are still playable in most players and on most devices. therfore h264.

but actually my question is not about which codec to use for different purposes (had long research- and discussion-sessions about that already).

the question is: why do the seemingly same encoders in ae and ame (quicktime with h264 with qualityslider 0-100) deliver so much different results?

i'm trying to figure out, whats the difference between ae-rendering and ame-rendering. how do i deal with rendersettings (effects, proxies etc) in ame? which one is better to use? and why the fudge is there a difference of 1:10 with the same settings in the different solutions????

thx...