5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2014 1:55 PM by A.T. Romano

How can I Import 2 channel audio from a Sony PMW300 camera?

woolfmusher

How can I Import 2 channel audio from a Sony PMW300 camera?

• 1. Re: How can I Import 2 channel audio from a Sony PMW300 camera?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

woolfmusher

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? Whatever, the case, we need more

detail on you Sony PMW300 video audio.

From what I have read in the camera's specifications, the audio is 4 channel. But, a key question is is this MXF video audio file?

If so, Premiere Elements does not support MXF files, and you will need to convert that file to another format before import into

Premiere Elements project. A convert to ProRes.mov might work in recent versions of Premiere Elements.

So, please more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How can I Import 2 channel audio from a Sony PMW300 camera?
            woolfmusher Level 1

HI ATR, We spoke about this last week and I said I had a work around, but I would like to correct the problem at source. I m running an IMac on OS 10.9.5. I have been using the SONY PMW 300 XD cam. It records video

as full HD 1920 x 1080 video recording at  MPEG HD420 at 35Mbps.  Audio is recorded as LPCM 16 bits, 48 kHz, 4 channels.

I copy the entire video file  from the Sony SxS card to a drive . When editing on Premiere Elements , I use the Add Media function and select the file. Its info says its MPEG-4 codec.

I have been doing the ok using  a single channel of audio (Ch. 1) as it was recorded on the camera and it worked fine. Recently I had to record audio  on channel 2 on the camera . This is the audio I can't get into Premiere. The file has audio. If I open it  with VLC and select CH 2 the audio is there. but I can't find itr when it's in Premiere. Any ideas?

Thanks

Terry Woolf

• 3. Re: How can I Import 2 channel audio from a Sony PMW300 camera?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Terry Woolf

Thanks for the reply.

The link to your prior thread is

Audio

I suspect that the issue of no audio for your .mp4 file goes to your conversion method MXF to .mp4.

Please excuse if I am saying what you already know. When you import your video into Premiere Elements (in your case 12 Mac), a project

preset is established, either by you manually or the project automatically. That project preset contains a description of the project settings

for audio as well as video. Unless you select one of the project presets which are described for use with 5.1 channel, your audio in video audio

imports into a stereo project. It is in the export area that you will find your opportunity to customize (if necessary) the settings for audio.

In the project, if applicable to your situation, you can duplicate an audio channel (See Fill Left or Fill Right under fx Effects/Audio Effects).

Please let me ask this to make sure of the details.

If you import your .mp4 with 2 channel audio (derived from your .mxf convert and dragged to Video Track 1/Audio Track 1) and cannot hear the sound....

a. do you see any evidence for an audio file in the Timeline Audio track 1?

b. if you do, how many wave forms do you see, one or two?

c. if you have the audio meters opened while you are playing back the Timeline content in Edit area, do you see 1 or 2 channels and is

there activity in both.

d. when you import the file into Project Assets, do you observe any conforming activity going on in progress bar in the lower right cover of the workspace...if

so, do you wait for it to go to completion before continuing on?

We could also try deleting the conformed audio in the Media Cache Files Folder to force the program to re-conform the audio. See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks should show you the location of the Media Cache Files Folder whose contents you will be deleting.

Please review and consider, and then let me know if I targeted your question. If not, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will rethink my reply based

on your response.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: How can I Import 2 channel audio from a Sony PMW300 camera?
                woolfmusher Level 1

Hi ATR, my schedule has been so crazy I haven't had time to try what you suggested previously. I will try to get to it today. In the mean time I was shown this post from you in 2012. Does the info in this post still apply?

Thanks

Terry Woolf

Andreas

Until proven otherwise, if you have a video with 2 audio tracks (we are not talking about left and right channels) and you want to split that into video plus audio track 1 (audio, example music) plus audio track 2 (narration), you cannot do that in Premiere Elements (any version).

When you import this particular video into Premiere Elements, it will import into Premiere Elements with its audio (composite of audio tracks) linked to its video....as you found out first hand.

You will need to identify 3rd party software for the task of splitting the 2 audio tracks into its component tracks.

ATR

• 5. Re: How can I Import 2 channel audio from a Sony PMW300 camera?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

woolfmusher

That looks like from my time at another forum that I no longer visit.

Through Premiere Elements 13, as said, until proven otherwise, .....I believe

Until proven otherwise, if you have a video with 2 audio tracks (we are not talking about left and right channels) and you want to split that into video plus audio track 1 (audio, example music) plus audio track 2 (narration), you cannot do that in Premiere Elements (any version).

When you import this particular video into Premiere Elements, it will import into Premiere Elements with its audio (composite of audio tracks) linked to its video....as you found out first hand.

You will need to identify 3rd party software for the task of splitting the 2 audio tracks into its component tracks.

ATR