4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2014 9:05 AM by Rick Gerard

Pre-Comp Braking My Animation

risander

Hello All,

I have been animating in after effects for about a month now, and I am doing a fold effect on a logo using masks. The problem is that when ever I pre-comp or even render the fold animation, it moves the elements, thus breaking my animation. Has anyone else had this problem?

Screenshot 2014-10-30 10.58.18.pngScreenshot 2014-10-30 10.58.49.png

• 1. Re: Pre-Comp Braking My Animation
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You have not provided any proper details about your project settings, comp settings, render settings, your version of AE, system info, how you prepare your artwork and a gigazillion otehr things. Simply saying that it doesn't work is not good enough. From your screenshot the only think noticeable is the different resolution and inevitably that will affect rasterization of vector artwork.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Pre-Comp Braking My Animation
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's not enough information to tell exactly what is going on but I'm guessing that you either did not move all attributes to the pre-comp or that you are nesting a comp that is a different size. Your timelines do not show us any properties (select the problem layer and press the U key twice to show every changed property) and your source footage and comps are not selected in the Project Panel so we don't have any idea what the comp or footage properties are.

• 3. Re: Pre-Comp Braking My Animation
              risander Level 1

My apologies this is my first time on a help forum. Here is the information on the files, also I'm running After Effects CS6 on a late 2013 Mac Pro;

Processor  3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5

Memory  12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC

Graphics  AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB

Software  OS X 10.9.4

Screenshot 2014-10-30 11.25.19.pngScreenshot 2014-10-30 11.25.41.pngScreenshot 2014-10-30 11.25.55.pngScreenshot 2014-10-30 11.27.18.pngScreenshot 2014-10-30 11.27.32.png

• 4. Re: Pre-Comp Braking My Animation
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your composition sizes don't appear to match. HD for one, and a custom 960 X 560 for the other. The problem is workflow.

If you imported the Illustrator files as a composition then go back into AI and set the art board to 1920 X 1080 pixels then re-import as a comp.

If you actually pre-composed the layer in question (it doesn't show that in your screenshots) then you must select Move All Attributes to the new comp and the Pre-comp will be the same size as your original. Otherwise, only the layer will be pre-composed and you'll loose anything you did to the layer in the main comp before pre-composing.