3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2014 11:23 AM by Rick Gerard

How to see all my images in a large 3D world

Sknygrydg

I have a 14 rectangles (shapes created in AE) distributed around a 3D world.  I have a camera (attached to a null) flying through the world to look at each one of the rectangles for a bit, and then move on.

In order to get nice flowing camera moves, the rectangles are between 3000 to 5000 pixels apart, in pretty much a straight line, and at varying angles to each other.

The problem I'm having is that I can't see all my rectangles at once.  AE won't zoom out enough to have them all on screen at the same time.  Once I zoom out to 1.5%, the hand tool stops working and I can't pan the view to the other objects, either at the head or tail.

Even when I zoom in to 25%, those items that are outside the viewing area at 1.5% aren't viewable - the hand tool doesn't move the view beyond the 'edge of the universe'.

I'm not a technical person, which is why I work on a Mac, so I don't know where to find all the system information that most people demand in these forums.  This is a work computer, so I don't know how it was built or the details of its configuration.  The information I DO know, is that I'm working on AE CC, the computer OS is Mavericks, and the computer itself is a tower with all the ram bays full.  If you need anything other than that to help me solve this problem, I'll need directions to get to the information you need.

[insults removed by moderator]

• 1. Re: How to see all my images in a large 3D world
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Well, that's one of the problems of working in 3D.  Unless you're making something intended to play back on 9 HD monitors, you can probably scale everything down.

• 2. Re: How to see all my images in a large 3D world
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm with Dave in that you could scale your whole scene down. Parent everything to a null object and just scale it down. You can use a different lens on the camera and voila! Everything will be in the same relation to each other, but the scene will be much more manageable.

• 3. Re: How to see all my images in a large 3D world
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can use the custom camera view and the camera tool to pull way back to see your scene. Personally, I would never put that many layers that far apart. I would put a wider angle lens on the camera or I would animate the scale of the layers as well as the camera move.

Think of the AE stage as a real world stage and pixels as inches or feet. Setting up a camera move on a real set that had your characters a mile apart would be more than difficult and way out of scale. Even if it were inches, 5000 inches is about 400 feet. Rethinking the layout will make things a lot easier.