5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 12:44 PM by mickaelm7777777

Changing the watermark in a digital signature...

master_x Level 1

I am using Adobe Acrobat X (Version 10.1.12) and am attempting to change the watermark in a digital signature from the default Adobe icon to one of my own.  In order to do this, I am following the instructions (given in enclosed text below) which are provided in Section 2.2.2.2 of the Adobe Digital Signatures Workflow Guide.

==========================================================================

A watermark is a partially transparent graphic or logo that appears “behind” a signature. By default, the

watermark is the Adobe PDF logo. Line (vector) art that is simple and unobtrusive often works best.

1. Import a logo or create a new one in a program such as Adobe Illustrator (used in the example below).

2. Set a low transparency level and flatten the transparency:

1. Select all and group the objects if there is more than one.

2. Choose Window > Transparency and slide the transparency slider to some low value such as 20%.

3. Choose Object > Flatten Transparency. Leaving the Raster/Vector balance at 100%.

4. Save the file to a PDF file.

3. Open the PDF file in Acrobat.

4. Crop the page and remove white space.

Note: The method varies across product versions. For example, for 8.x , choose Document > Crop Page and check Remove White Margins.

5. Save the file as SignatureLogo.pdf in:

- Windows: C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\<version>\Security.

- Macintosh: \Users\<user name>\Library\Application Support\Adobe\Acrobat\<version>\Security.

==========================================================================

I am able to create the SignatureLogo PDF containing the new, cropped watermark without any issue, but placing that PDF in what I believe to be the correct directory in Windows 7 does not result in the watermark showing up as visible on my signature.  I still see the Adobe watermark icon in the signature regardless of where I place the PDF containing the icon file with the custom watermark.

Just for the record, the folders that I have placed the SignatureLogo PDF in my Windows 7 set-up are the following:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\10.0\Security

Any pointers would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Changing the watermark in a digital signature...
          Charlene L. Adobe Employee

Hello Master_X,

Place your watermark file in the "Roaming" folder rather than the "Local" folder:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\10.0\Security

Regards,

Charlene

• 2. Re: Changing the watermark in a digital signature...
            master_x Level 1

Charlene,

Thanks very much for that.  It did help in the sense that it seem to get rid of the Adobe watermark, so I know that I'm getting closer. 

However, my company logo (from SignatureLogo.pdf) still did not show as visible in the signature.  Is there some secret to the creation of that PDF containing the cropped icon that is not fully explained in Section 2.2.2.2 of the Adobe Digital Signature Workflow instructions listed in my first post?  I don't have Adobe Illustrator so I was simply creating a PDF from a cropped transparent image of our company icon.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Changing the watermark in a digital signature...
              Charlene L. Adobe Employee

Hello Master_X,

I believe the instructions in the Workflow Guide are complete.

And I did not use Illustrator for my logo either.

I simply used an image in a PDF and, using Acrobat, cropped the PDF down to the edges of the image.

So we're both aligned there.

Are you applying a custom appearance in the signature?

That might be overlaying the watermark even if it is blank or not cropped in a way that shows anything.

When you are placing your signature and the Sign Document dialog is open, check the Appearance dropdown right above the image of the signature.

Ensure that "Standard Text" is selected.

At the moment, I can't think of what else might be happening in terms of the digital signature configuration. Might be an issue with the logo file.

Regards,

Charlene

• 4. Re: Changing the watermark in a digital signature...
                master_x Level 1

Charlene,

Yes, I was trying to use a custom appearance in my signature.  I guess that I thought that since the Adobe watermark shows behind my custom appearance, then my custom watermark should also.

When I do try without the custom appearance using just Standard Text, I get the same result - neither my nor Adobe's watermark are visible in the signature.  So my issue must be related to the content/format of SignatureLogo.pdf itself.  I'll try a few things and see if anything changes.  I'll let you know one way or the other.

Thanks for your time.

• 5. Re: Changing the watermark in a digital signature...
                  mickaelm7777777 Level 1

same probleme and no solution...