7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2014 9:37 AM by Bigboy66

Inserting to wrong lines

Bigboy66

I have Premiere elements 12. I have started a project using video and audio lines 1 on the timeline. When I insert a clip with the mouse it goes to video and audio lines 5. How do I make them go automatically to lines 1 I have chosen?

• 1. Re: Inserting to wrong lines
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How are you adding your video to your timeline? You should be able to drag the video from the Project Assets to whatever video track you'd like. Assuming you're working in Expert view.

• 2. Re: Inserting to wrong lines
            Bigboy66 Level 1

Thank You for Your answer. Yes I'm able to drag it to the right line. In my previous projects I was able to insert a clip between two clips with the mouse's insert -command. It went to the right video line 1 between the clips where I wanted it. I have not changed anything in the settings. I wonder why it now does not end up on the right video line, but way above? I find the mouse's insert command faster than dragging the clip.

• 3. Re: Inserting to wrong lines
              Bigboy66 Level 1

I'll add one thing. I used a different video camera on this project. Can this explain my problem?

• 4. Re: Inserting to wrong lines
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bigboy66

Premiere Elements 12 - what computer operating system?

Assuming Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit for now....

Expert workspace

If you place the Timeline Indicator at the spot where you want to insert a new file on Video 1/Audio 1 and then go to Project Assets and right click the file you want to add and select "Insert in Timeline", does the Project Assets file insert automatically on the Timeline where you have the Timeline Indicator on Video 1/Audio 1?

Is that what you are looking for? I do not see video from a different camera entering into this. I am not understanding...what is the mouse's insert command?

Except for the mouse part, it sounds like the "Insert in Timeline" that I mention above.

In my previous projects I was able to insert a clip between two clips with the mouse's insert -command. It went to the right video line 1 between the clips where I wanted it

ATR

• 5. Re: Inserting to wrong lines
                  Bigboy66 Level 1

I have Windows 7, 64 bit.

When I choose the clip from Project assets and choose Insert in timeline, then it goes to the video and audio lines 1.

But when I choose a clip from project assets with a double  click to a small window in order to shorten it, and then try to insert it with mouse, it goes to lines way above.

With the mouse's insert command i mean clicking the right side and then choosing "insert" from the list.

Today I took some footage with my other cameras (Samsung galaxy S 4 Zoom -phone, and Nikon coolpix camera) and tried it on my current project. The clip goes to lines 1 from the small window with the insert command, as in my previous projects.

So the problem has to be with my new Panasonic video camera. Strange.

I find no setting in the Premiere program where I could choose the line the clip goes to from the small window with the insert command.

I can work this project dragging the clips from the small window. It is no major issue.

Thank you for help, again

• 6. Re: Inserting to wrong lines
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bigboy66

Thanks for the details.

I think I understand better the situation.

What Panasonic model and settings are you using for the camera that recorded the video clip that wants to go from the Preview Window/Trim/Insert

to a track above Video Track 1/Audio Track 1 instead of Video Track 1/Audio Track 1?

Still trying to figure out the why.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Inserting to wrong lines
                      Bigboy66 Level 1

I have Panasonic HC-V750.

I used the Intelligent Auto -setting when shooting.

I read through the manual of the camera and found no clues.

This mystery will probably remain unsolved.

But, as I mentioned before, I can drag the clips. So, this is no major issue.