9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2014 6:57 PM by tinkum

tinkum

tinkum

I have Adobe Photoshop CS5 Creative Suite 5.0 and it will not open raw files from my Canon G-15 camera.  How can I get these raw files to open up?  ng

• 1. Re: tinkum
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That camera requires at least Camera Raw 7.3, which is only compatible with CS6. You will either have to upgrade or use the DNG converter.

• 2. Re: tinkum
            tinkum Level 1

Wow not the best of news!  I want to do HDR photography which asks for raw files.   I don't know what a DNG converter is but will it assist with me doing HDR?  Thanks for the response!

• 3. Re: tinkum
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The DNG Converter will assist your older PS in opening raw files from your newer camera.  You can find it, here: 

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

Download the latest version 8.6 unless you have XP or OSX 10.6 then download version 8.3.

The DNG Converter is a standalone program and can be used to create DNGs from a folder of native camera raw files.  Those DNGs will open in PS/ACR or Lightroom, whereas the native camera raw files will not.

The main issue people have is that when you select the folder of files just single-click on it to select the folder name, don’t double-click to open the folder.  Since you are selecting a folder not the raw files, themselves, you shouldn’t expect to see any files when you’re selecting things, just folders.

• 4. Re: tinkum
                tinkum Level 1

Thanks ssprengel I downloaded the 8.6 update.  I did use the DNG converter and it worked.  Seems like an extra step or two.  Also why when I called Adobe for tech support couldn't they answer this?  They told me to go to this forum! 

• 5. Re: tinkum
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Because your product is out of date, and your question wasn’t about payment, installation or licensing, so any money they made from your purchase has long since been spent on support back at the time the product was new.

It’d be like saying it’s a good idea for your adult-aged children to move back in with you and have you pay for everything because they don’t want to support themselves.

• 6. Re: tinkum

Another reason they couldn't answer your question is that many of the tech support people have never used Adobe products. They read their answers from a script. And they don't have any idea what the DNG converter is. The DNG converter certainly is an extra step. Extra steps can be reduced if you use the DNG converter to convert directly from the card as the images are transferred to your hard drive. If you don't like the extra step than the obvious solution is to upgrade your software.

• 7. Re: tinkum
                      tinkum Level 1

Jim you are right.  They kept pausing and I could tell they were reading from a script.  Can you please explain how to convert to DNG directly from the card.  I've only converted from a folder already downloaded to my hard drive.  Thanks!

• 8. Re: tinkum

In the DNG converter dialogue, where it prompts for the folder, simply point it to the folder on the card. Then set the destination to a folder on your hard drive. After the conversion is complete, you'll probably want to copy the original raw files to a backup folder using your operating system tools.

• 9. Re: tinkum
                          tinkum Level 1

Thank you Jim.  It was kind of you to help!