3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2014 10:36 PM by Herbert2001

fixing UV Seams

Torkuda

I'm getting kind of frustrated with photoshop on something. I've been told there is a way to quickly use photoshop's masking and painting tools to modify UV maps on a 3d model. Thus I popped in an OBJ with a texture map applied, opened it in a 3d layer and attempted to do ANYTHING to it. My Photoshop CS5.5 seems like it won't let me do anything without going straight to the diffuse map and modifying it manually. I could have done that without the 3d features. Can the 3d features help at all in this process?

• 1. Re: fixing UV Seams
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No. PS is blind, deaf and dumb in the UV department and doesn't know any advanced tricks.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: fixing UV Seams
            Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yeah Mylenium is correct. Photoshop can create the UV texture, but has no way of really altering the UV map. It just received a new feature for UV's but I have not tested it yet nor would it help in this situation. But at least they are/or were working on UV issues. I guess we will see what the next update brings.

Most 3d apps provide ways to alter the map so it may be worth your time to real the manual for that app.

Also UV Mapper is a nice alternative, not sure it will do everything you need, but at least it can do basic editing.  (I think it works on obj files only. It's been awhile.)

UVMapper - UV Mapping Software

• 3. Re: fixing UV Seams
              Herbert2001 Level 4

PS UV editing is a no-go indeed. If you need a very powerful free option: Blender. Blender has great UV mapping tools, and they are relatively easy to use (once you have learned the basics of Blender).

There are many video tutorials available online that explain how to uv unwrap a character or other models. Here is a good beginner's one:

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/01/21/intro_uvmapping/