9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2014 12:58 PM by rdbot

Search does not work on a collapsed stack!

rdbot

I found only one other complaint about this on a very early version of LR, but seem this should be fixed, or at least explained as to why...

I pulled my hair out trying to find an image that I was sure was in the catalog... it was on the hd (looking in the finder)...

I tried to reimport it as well and couldnt bec. it was a duplicate, further assuring me the image was there...

Finally I expanded all imaged in my catalog and tada, it came up in a search.

Difficult for me to understand this behavior. When I stack images it's because I want to group them, if I search, its because Im looking for just one image.

Why should it matter if its part of a group?

Do I really have to take this xtra step of going to all photos, expand all groups, find my image, then collapse groups again?

I can not always remember also whether a file is in a group, so if I dont expand all, then I could assume incorrectly the file isnt there!

Any ideas or comments?

Best,

R

• 1. Re: Search does not work on a collapsed stack!
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Everyone has their own way of working with Lightroom. I'm not going to even suggest that you adopt my way of thinking. But I use stacks primarily for variations of the same image. In other words, if I have edited a photo in Photoshop and have a TIF image I will stack it with the original. And I will stack groups of images I have used to create a panorama. If I have different groups of images that I want together I will create a collection rather than trying to stack them. As I indicated, this is how I use stacks. But you are right. An image buried in a collapsed stack cannot be found using the search feature.

• 2. Re: Search does not work on a collapsed stack!
            rdbot Level 1

Thank you Jim. Well as least I know know that is the way it functions... but even in your examples, if you are specifically looking for an exact filename within a panorama or variations of a file, as I must do often, you would still have to do the other steps before and after (expand all, collapse all)... is there a reason why they wouldnt design it so simply your image would come up in a search? what does it hurt to have it show a result, seems many more negatives and not a positive I can imagine...

• 3. Re: Search does not work on a collapsed stack!
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I don't particularly care for the way LR searches stacks. Adobe's Photoshop Elements treated collapsed stacks differently -- it implicitly expanded collapsed stacks if there was a matching photo inside the stack and the top photo didn't match. But that wasn't always the "right" thing to do either, and some people complained about that behavior as well.

You could add your opinion and vote to this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Color label filter does not work correctly for photos in collapsed stack.

• 4. Re: Search does not work on a collapsed stack!
                rdbot Level 1

Thanks for your reply John, well at least theres a work around, albeit an annoying thing to have to do, esp, when it seems an easy fix. must be theres a reason why its done this way that I cant see.  best,  R

• 5. Re: Search does not work on a collapsed stack!
                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Search using a smart collection. It doesn't care if items are in stacks.

What you are calling "search" is really a filter, filtering the thumbnails according to your criteria. Items inside stacks are already hidden, so they're not going to suddenly reappear when you filter the thumbnails. That's the (clunky) logic.

• 6. Re: Search does not work on a collapsed stack!
                    onyonet Level 1

I'm with you rdbot. In my case I have Smart Collections filter stuff. I use the Smart Collections to filter for things like .psd, .jpg or a specific place, date etc.

Like JimHess I Stack versions of my photo. I might have several .psd files based on my workflow for a single photo. The Smart Collection will contain all the .psd files for a given photo, but I want to find my master, and I can't always tell by the name of the file. (Some will say I need a different workflow, but that's not the point here.)

In LR you can click on a photo>then click on All Photographs (or a known folder for the photo) and that photo will be highlighted. If you don't see the photo you can normally click the left or right arrow and LR will make the Grid view jump to those photos. This makes it very easy to find photos at times.

The problem however is exactly as you describe. If the photo you select in the Smart Collection is in a Stack, and the Stack is Collapsed, LR shows you the first photo in the folder. Now you have to Expand Stacks as you describe>go back to your Smart Collection>find the file again>then switch to the folder again. Very annoying.

We need to find out how to request this type of filtering/searching be included in a future release of LR.

Daniel

• 7. Re: Search does not work on a collapsed stack!
                      We need to find out how to request this type of filtering/searching be included in a future release of LR.

You can make feature requests and bug reports at the official Adobe feedback forum. There's already a topic on this issue, which I linked to in a previous post in this thread.  You can add your opinion and vote to that topic.

• 8. Re: Search does not work on a collapsed stack!

onyonet wrote: I use the Smart Collections to filter for things like .psd, .jpg or a specific place, date etc. ... If the photo you select in the Smart Collection is in a Stack, and the Stack is Collapsed, LR shows you the first photo in the folder.

To make this discussion more productive, I think we have to be more precise in the use of terminology.  "Smart collections" are the canned search queries that appear in the Collections pane on the left-hand side. "Filters" are the selections you make in the Library Filter bar that appears along the top of grid view (Text, Attribute, Metadata, ...).  Smart collections and filters, though they have many similarities, are different mechanisms for searching your catalog, and they have different behaviors.  You can't "filter" using a smart collection.

As Rdbot pointed out, filters don't search inside collapsed stacks -- more generally, they only search what's visible in grid view. As John Beardsworth pointed out, smart collections do search inside collapsed stacks -- more generally, smart collections always search the entire catalog.

Onyonet, here's a work-around for your scenario. Click on the smart collection to find the desired photo(s).  Right-click the desired photo and do Go To Folder In Library.  That will show the photo's folder and select the photo. If the photo was in a collapsed stack, the stack will be expanded.  Now click on All Photographs. 

In my opinion, LR has a lot of rough edges around smart collections, filters, and stacks, and this is one of them. 

• 9. Re: Search does not work on a collapsed stack!
                          rdbot Level 1

Thanks all for such thoughtful answers. I did find a couple of advanced search plugins online, such as this one

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/extended-search

could be this is another answer as it says it can search "Stacking (not stacked, in stack anywhere, in stack at top, in stack at bottom)"

but never tried these...

R