3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2014 3:12 PM by A.T. Romano

What project settings in photoshop premiere elements 9 should I use for mp4 video from samsung galaxy s4

labs1000

I have not idea what I am doing and am trying (for the 1st time) to work with an mp4 video from Samsung galaxy s4.  After giving the project a name, I am asked for the project settings, I don't see an option for the Samsung galaxy s4 (mp4) video, so I have no idea which option to choose.  Would appreciate help/guidance. 

• 1. Re: What project settings in photoshop premiere elements 9 should I use for mp4 video from samsung galaxy s4
          A.T. Romano Level 7

labs1000

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9 running on? For now, I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Are you running Premiere Elements 9 as the 9.0.1 Update? If not, we need to have you do that once we know your computer operating

system.

First thing you need to know is the properties of your video. More to know than just the file extension .mp4.

From what I have read of the Samsung Galaxy s4 - you are probably recording "1080p30" which means

Frame Width = 1920

Frame Height = 1080

Frame Rate = 30 progressive frames per second.

How does that all translate into what to set in the new project dialog that you face when you open the program?

You do not want to end up with the default which is NTSC DV Standard (720 x 480 4:3 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second).

In the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 new project dialog, click on Change Settings.

Under Change Settings, set the project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DLSR 1080p30@29.97

When it comes to export, use

Mobile Phone and Player

Apple iPod and iPhone

Presets = iPod and iPhone High Quality

This will get you a H.264.mp4 file.

Now you will need to customize the preset under its Advanced Button/Video Tab.

The customized preset should look like the following - focus on what is below the Video Tab -

Start with setting the Level and Profile and then do all the rest.

mp4export9.JPG

Not sure how clear it will be in the screenshot, but Frame Width = 1920, Frame Height = 1080

At the bottom, Target Bitrate = 32 Mbps and Maximum Bitrate = 40 Mbps. If the file size is

too large, we can lower the bitrate in our next try to find a compromise between bitrate, file

size, and quality.

Cell phone video in Premiere Elements can present with audio out of sync in the program. If so, we may have to

convert a variable frame rate to a constant one in the HandBrake software.

Lots to review. Take one phase at a time, and we will work through this at whatever pace you want to go.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: What project settings in photoshop premiere elements 9 should I use for mp4 video from samsung galaxy s4
            labs1000 Level 1

Thank you for all of this information - I am a new user to premiere elements 9 (version 9.0) - I've had it since it first came out and never felt comfortable trying to get to know it. I am usng Windows 7 Prof. SP-1, on a 64 bit system.  When I click on the "help" menu in the PE9 program to determine what version, unfortunately the "updates" option is grayed-out so I can't update to version 9.0.1 (I don't understand why not).

Looking at the properties factor of the video, it says 1920 x 1080; 29 fps

And, as you said, I many things to look at/learn...so to begin with I will work with the information you have provided (I am  very slow learner, so it may be sometime before you hear from me again!)

Thank you....

• 3. Re: What project settings in photoshop premiere elements 9 should I use for mp4 video from samsung galaxy s4
              A.T. Romano Level 7

labs1000

Thanks for the reply.

Anywhere along the line moving forward, please do not hesitate to stop and ask more questions if sometime needs clarification.

You can install the 9.0.1 Update with Premiere Elements 9 closed. Just use the following link for the download and install.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

Best wishes

ATR