5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2014 1:43 PM by Rick Gerard

How to bend a 3D composition animated ?

Tof972

Hello !

how to bend a 3D composition animated like it : Comment créer une infographie animée - YouTube

i want to know how can i make my caracter bend like in the beginning of the video !

thx!

• 1. Re: How to bend a 3D composition animated ?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do a little research on the puppet pin tool. Be warned, it's not a very easy tool to learn how to use.

• 2. Re: How to bend a 3D composition animated ?
            Tof972 Level 1

oh ! thx Rick,

but i don't talk about puppet systèm, but about the process when the first caracter appear :The bending ,

ill tried the last 3D system layer of AE CC, and the plug-in of http://aescripts.com/ but not  running on composition animated .

ill purchase again thx a lot !

(sorry for my english). little frenchy

• 3. Re: How to bend a 3D composition animated ?

Puppet Pin would bend the arms. When the character first pops up the head bounces into position a bit but the layer doesn't bend. You could create the same effect using a swing into place expression like the one used for the words at the start of the animation. The character just isn't made from one layer, he's made from at least 2, one for the head with the anchor point at the neck, and one for the body. I don't see any real bending of the head, I just see a hinge at the neck with a bounce. I have an animation preset for a hinge bounce in my library. I also created a simple project to demonstrate the concept. I'm glad to share the concept. Here is the Animation Preset and the CS6 project file. I put the camera to the side so you can see the hinges work.

hingeBounce.ffx

ManyHinges.aep

If you wanted to actually bend the layer then you could use rayTraced rendering and bend a layer or you could use Displacement Mapping to simulate the bend or Forge Freeform to actually bend the layer. Actually, even Mesh warp or Liquify could simulate the bend. I think they just used at least 2 layers for the little man.

Note: Your browser may add a .txt extension to the files when you download. If that happens just remove the extension so the files have the correct extensions.

• 4. Re: How to bend a 3D composition animated ?
                Tof972 Level 1

Rick

i already tried the new 3D layer bending of AE, but i can't asign a point of bending (at the bottom for exemple) and it's only on "Y" axis, not on "X"

i'll try FREE FORM Pro, but i don't know if it's going to work on a composition with layer group :/

Thx a lot again

Chris from french west indies.

• 5. Re: How to bend a 3D composition animated ?

To bend your head layer rotate it 90, pre-compose, make the pre-comp 3D and bend.

Anchor point and position are important here. As for the other plugins you're just going to have to get everything you want to bend on a single layer.

DId you look at my sample?  I do not see any bending in the sample, only hinges.