5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2014 3:49 AM by dj_paige

Lightroom 4 Constantly Missing Photos

mcable1981

I'm about to lose my mind. I have a new Mac Pro and transferred all of my Lightroom data TWICE (after completely erasing Lightroom from my Mac) from my PC's hard drive trying to remedy this situation. I opened Lightroom tonight only to find over 900 of my over 1190 pictures "missing or offline" AGAIN! I'm familiar with all of the means of finding lost photos, and most usually don't work to bring back more than 1 photo at a time. I've synchronized folders, clicked "find other lost photos," gone back to my last backup (which is done at least once weekly) but I do NOT have time to find all 400 photos EVERY TIME I OPEN LIGHTROOM!!! I never had this problem on my PC and am about to give up. Why is this constantly happening? I exported FIVE (not 900) pictures from Lightroom a few days ago THROUGH Lightroom and so I don't understand why it's losing photos in that collection as well as photos I haven't touched in 6 months except to constantly find them over and over and over and over again. The only moving of photos I do is to move a few to a desktop folder to print from a 3rd party website. Again, I've done this before on my PC and had ZERO problem. I have wasted so much time on this that I dread trying to do what used to be my relaxing part of the day. Please help me not hate this program or my Mac. I'm desperate. Thank you, in advance.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 4 Constantly Missing Photos
          Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It's a tad difficult to provide help when much of the information needed is missing.

Where are you photos currently stored?

Are the photos stored on a n internal drive or external?

Are the photos stored on multiple drives?

Are the photos stored under a traditional hierarchal folder structure?

BTW, moving photos to anywhere just so as you can print them is not required. A better approach would be to export a copy of the photos to the desktop or wherever best suits your method of getting them to the 3rd party printer.  This leaves the originals in their original location. The copies can be deleted when not required.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 4 Constantly Missing Photos
            mcable1981 Level 1

All but the most recent 200ish (which the program has no trouble finding) are on my external hard drive under a backup I made just before my PC crashed. The first time we tried to get it all up and running, we tried to use the old internal hard drive from the PC and the external hard drive backup, but that confused files so we had to start over and just use the old PC's hard drive. Not all of those photos go missing. That's what drives me insane. There doesn't seem to be any reason for these to continue to get lost! And even though we only used the PC's old hard drive to load the catalog last time, finding some of the photos takes me to the external hard drive.

I do export to a file on the desktop to print.And those that I moved didn't get lost. I've just read that doing any kind of exporting can screw stuff up.

I now have the additional problem of being told that some of these photos I tried to recover after locating them are named elsewhere on Lightroom. Is this because I synced folders trying to find them? It's especially frustrating since I can locate them but not recover them. Please advise on how to fix my additional screw up. That's what happens at 1 am.

Also, even though I have the box clicked to find nearby missing photos, it never does, even when I can see them within the same folder.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 4 Constantly Missing Photos
              mcable1981 Level 1

How do I know if I've made a copy or exported the actual file? This is a side question since I'm having zero trouble with those photos but don't want to continue to screw up. Thank you!

• 4. Re: Lightroom 4 Constantly Missing Photos
                mcable1981 Level 1

Ok, I've now located and reloaded almost all of my lost photos. Praise the Lord!

BUT I still don't know what triggered the loss in the 1st place. I realize I have photos all. over. the. place which made locating them all a big time sucker. How do I prevent this from happening again? How to I export without losing them? I never had a problem with exporting to a desktop file before, but now I have them in so many locations on my old internal hard drive and back up on my external hard drive, it takes hours to locate them! Can I save my catalog so that if this happens again, I can just reload the catalog? I'm so lost!

• 5. Re: Lightroom 4 Constantly Missing Photos
                  dj_paige Level 9

User actions will cause Lightroom to report a photo is missing. Specifically, if you rename, move or delete a photo (or the folder that contains them) outside of Lightroom, you will find that the photo is now considered missing by Lightroom. The way to prevent this is to do all of your photo management inside of Lightroom, not outside of Lightroom (or better yet, develop a workflow that doesn't require you to move photos from here to there)

BUT I still don't know what triggered the loss in the 1st place. I realize I have photos all. over. the. place which made locating them all a big time sucker. How do I prevent this from happening again? How to I export without losing them? I never had a problem with exporting to a desktop file before, but now I have them in so many locations on my old internal hard drive and back up on my external hard drive, it takes hours to locate them! Can I save my catalog so that if this happens again, I can just reload the catalog? I'm so lost!

The whole point of Lightroom's Library Module is to give you tools to organize and find your photos. It sounds like you are not doing this. If you have to locate photos from "all over the place" then you need to begin using keywords and other metadata to organize your photos, so from now on, if you want to find photos of (for example) soccer games, you simply use the "soccer" keyword.

Regarding exporting, you export from Lightroom only when the photo is needed outside of Lightroom (web, e-mail, print, etc.) and then the export is temporary. You delete the exported photo(s) when it is no longer needed. Then you no longer have to keep track of your exports which are "all over the place" and your problem is simplified to keeping track (organizing) the originals.