7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 11:25 AM by shooternz

Display adaptors in a note book questions

shooternz Level 6

Window 7  64 bit - ASUS Note Book I7- 2670QM  2.20 GHZ 8 Cores , 8 GB Ram ...

Can some one help me please with sorting out my note book which I am hoping might work with Premiere Pro CC2014.x(latest)

I appear to have two display adapters enabled in Device manager

Intel (R) HD Graphics FAmily

NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M (latest drivers)

I have  no idea if I need both  enabled or how to identify which one is doing the "work" .... but because "Display Properties" seems to limit me to 1366 x 768 , I suspect it is the Intel driver?

I am hoping that I can use the NVIDIA at a decent resolution out to an external PC monitor ( HDMI or the other connector RGB?). 

Advice  on all this for a computer dummy please. 

I have thought about just trying "disabling" each  adapter in Device Manager but worried I will brick something!!!

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Display adaptors in a note book questions
          cc_merchant Level 4

If you have the DDR5 version with 1+ GB VRAM, I would disable the Intel adapter and force the use of the GT 555M.

• 2. Re: Display adaptors in a note book questions
            shooternz Level 6

Well it seems that Premiere  is recognising a card that is Cuda enabled and I have GPU acceleration.

This lap top has never had Premiere on it previously.  Now it has CC2014 8.1 and it seems to be working very well.

The NVIDIA has 144 Cuda Cores, 4095 available graphics memory and 2048  DDR3 dedicated Video memory ( VRAM?)

I may leave everything enabled meantime.  If its working ...its working as far as I am concerned.

• 3. Re: Display adaptors in a note book questions
              JFPhoton Level 3

Hello Shooter.......I too have an Asus laptop....the G750jw. It appears that the integrated Haswell supplied GPU is automatically used under light loads, and the NVidia GPU kicks in under any more serious load.....my "Speccy" report shows 3 separate "states" the GPU is in ,depending on the load....each state is a higher core clock and memory clock speed. As Bill Gehrke has pointed out.... to save battery life, the laptops default GPU memory clock speed is WAY underclocked....compared to similar desktop versions. I can verify there is MUCH headroom on my 765M card....without any strain I can increase the GPU memory clock speed to 3 Ghz, up from the initial default of 1Ghz.

I have been using MSI Afterburner to overclock the Nvidia GPU memory clock to gain measurably better performance in PPro....esp. when exporting timelines which are heavy in GPU accelerated effects. Do NOT be afraid to do this...the temps are staying low....well under 63 C with a heavy workload on it.

• 4. Re: Display adaptors in a note book questions
                shooternz Level 6

Thanx for advice and info JFP.

Sounds great but I am far too much of a scaredy cat to try and go into "over clocking" territory...although I am very tempted to do so.

• 5. Re: Display adaptors in a note book questions
                  JFPhoton Level 3

.....Bill Gehrke has the same laptop as me , and following his suggestion, I have EASILY gained much performance by just overclocking the GPU memory clock ONLY......NOT the core frequency,or, anything else.

........dont be afraid !!!....use the free MSI Afterburner.  You are safe with GPU temps into the 80s and higher centigrade.....I am barely touching 60 C under heavy exporting load with overclock. One test I made was exporting a four video track Canon .MOV time line with heavy GPU accelerated effects. Without overclocking the GPU memory clock the time was around four minutes....WITH overclock around three minutes....a TWENTY FIVE percent improvement,without " breaking a sweat" !!!.........fuggetaboutit !!!

• 6. Re: Display adaptors in a note book questions
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The is the optimus configuration used by laptops now days. The Intel adapter is used for all standard desktop graphics to save power and generate less heat since you don't need the Nvidia graphics for that. The laptop is suppose to switch to the Nvidia graphics when any 3d/direct x/Open GL graphics are initialized. This was more problematic with that i7 Gen 2 but it should work if the drivers are correct. Most of the time  the  Nvidia graphics handles the video outs on the laptops such as HDMI or DVI.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Display adaptors in a note book questions
                      shooternz Level 6

Thanx to you and Eric

I will try a little overclocking as you suggest.