1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 3, 2014 8:00 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 13 Won't Open Saved Projects

Wil Nic

I purchased a copy of Premiere Elements 13 not even 24 hours ago. Immediately upon successful install I opened a PE 9 project, saving it as a new copy. After shutting down PE13 and attempting to launch the newly-saved project, it won't open the newly-saved project again -- it simply says that an error occurred after the progress bar reaches 100% and disappears. But PE13 itself launches successfully.

I'm using the PE9 file to create a mild update of a five-minute video/photo slideshow with music and narration -- fairly intense editing, I'd say. I tried three times to create this video, meeting with failure all three times. I purchased PE13 to alleviate the crashing that deleting the prefs file could no longer fix, not anticipating that it would have it's own major bug.

Notes:

There's no "prefs" folder in which I can delete that file.

One thing I noticed -- neither of my saved copies have the ".log" text files.

Also, does it matter that the files are all saved in a "9.0" folder instead of "13.0."

Computer runs Windows 7, 64-bit, isn't buggy, and is up-to-date. PE13 never indicated any graphics card issues, etc. I've tried restarting computer, closing all other programs during use of PE13, etc.

By the nature of the "grandfathered" project I'm working on, items are stored on three different hard drives. Yes, for future projects I will consolidate resources to a single hard drive.

Any ideas? Thank you!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Won't Open Saved Projects
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Wil Nic

Under normal conditions, there is no guarantee that any Premiere Elements project file created in an earlier version will open in a later version of the program, in this case, the later version being Premiere Elements 13. But, in your case, you have a problem Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project file that you are trying to open in Premiere Elements 13.

Consequently, more details on the following might give us some clues as to what is going on in 9 that might help us in 13.

I'm using the PE9 file to create a mild update of a five-minute video/photo slideshow with music and narration -- fairly intense editing, I'd say. I tried three times to create this video, meeting with failure all three times

How did the 9.0/9.0.1 project fail?

What happens if you re-create the 5 minutes "video/photo slideshow with music and narration" in 13, determining how you can go with this "fairly intense editing" before you hit a failure mode?

At this time, I see 2 different paths for you to follow

a. Troubleshoot the 9.0/9.0.1 project and finish that project there.

or

b. Start new in Premiere Elements 13.

ATR