4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2007 7:46 AM by Newsgroup_User

Opening Corel Draw Files

Level 7
      Hi was sent Corel Draw images but Fireworks MX 2004 won't open them. Is
      there an extension or another program I can use to open and convert them to
      PNG/JPG?

Thanks!

Scott

• 1. Re: Opening Corel Draw Files
          Level 7
          Scott Powell wrote:
          > Hi was sent Corel Draw images but Fireworks MX 2004 won't open them. Is
          > there an extension or another program I can use to open and convert them
          > to PNG/JPG?

Ask whomever is sending them to export them from Corel Draw in
          uncompressed AI 7 or 8 format before sending them to you.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Opening Corel Draw Files
            Level 1
            Scott,

What file format did you saved your Corel Draw image document? If native Corel Draw file format, FW will not understand its native format produced by Corel.

You could try to import PNG files, or JPG or GIF file format.

Have you check with FW TechNote self-help support page?

Hope that helps. Cheers, Brian (DWD)

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
            Hi was sent Corel Draw images but Fireworks MX 2004 won't open them. Is
            there an extension or another program I can use to open and convert them to
            PNG/JPG?

Thanks!

Scott

• 3. Re: Opening Corel Draw Files
              Level 7
              On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 23:18:56 +0300, Scott Powell <sp2@glweb.biz> wrote:

> Hi was sent Corel Draw images but Fireworks MX 2004 won't open them. Is
              > there an extension or another program I can use to open and convert them
              > to PNG/JPG?

In addition to what other people said, I'd like to notice that Corel Draw
              support both vectors and bitmaps, *and* some sort of the effects similar
              to "live effects" of Fireworks. These effects are not fully correctly
              translated from proprietary Corel format to any other formats.

So, I would suggest you asking the person sending the files for sending
              you *both* vector variants as AI files, *and* rendered bitmap files as PNG
              or TIFF. With AI, you are likely to extract editable vectors, but you may
              loose some effects. With PNG or TIFFs, you get perfectly rendered effects
              and stuff, but you are likely to loose the most of the editability.
              Depending on your job, you may use any of them, or both to reconstruct
              some of the things in FW manually.

--
              Ilya Razmanov
              http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
              • 4. Re: Opening Corel Draw Files
                Level 7
                Thanks everyone for all your answers. This really helps.

I appreciate it very much,

Scott Powell

"Ilya Razmanov" <ilyich@ioc.ac.ru> wrote in message
                news:op.tpo1h1z46e3g07@toadie...
                > On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 23:18:56 +0300, Scott Powell <sp2@glweb.biz> wrote:
                >
                >> Hi was sent Corel Draw images but Fireworks MX 2004 won't open them. Is
                >> there an extension or another program I can use to open and convert them
                >> to PNG/JPG?
                >
                > In addition to what other people said, I'd like to notice that Corel Draw
                > support both vectors and bitmaps, *and* some sort of the effects similar
                > to "live effects" of Fireworks. These effects are not fully correctly
                > translated from proprietary Corel format to any other formats.
                >
                > So, I would suggest you asking the person sending the files for sending
                > you *both* vector variants as AI files, *and* rendered bitmap files as PNG
                > or TIFF. With AI, you are likely to extract editable vectors, but you may
                > loose some effects. With PNG or TIFFs, you get perfectly rendered effects
                > and stuff, but you are likely to loose the most of the editability.
                > Depending on your job, you may use any of them, or both to reconstruct
                > some of the things in FW manually.
                >
                > --
                > Ilya Razmanov
                > http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters