Can you share that sample page on PDF. You can use dropbox.com or similar and post the link here.
Would you be able to share the .indd file or a page sample? It is really puzzling that the same word behaves different in two different pages. On page 7 Hoxhas is hyphenated fine. On page 10 it shows the problem.
Edit: actually on Page 7 it reads Hoxha (without "s") and on page 10 it reads Hoxhas (with an "s").
Edit 2: Have you tried exporting the file to IDML to see if the problem goes away?
I know, there is no logic...
And yes, I tried to export it as IDML – and the PDF gets exactly the same errors.
But what I realized now is that it's something in the printer’s PDF settings that make this happen!
I have tried with other printer’s PDF settings and then it looks OK – it's just from their setting where this happens.
Which is still very strange though, since:
- We print a lot of books there (they are one of Sweden’s biggest printers) and no other file have had this problem.
- The InDesign document still looks normal.
- The error seems completely irrational.
Maybe it could be some strange and hidden format setting from Microsoft Word?
Here are the job options from the printer:
Dropbox - ScandBooks_Dokumentinstruktioner 140127.zip
Here are the complete InDesign files etc:
It might be because you are using Optical Margin Alignment. I haven't been able to pinpoint to anything specific on your .indd file. When I "move" one page with trouble to a new document that mirrors the original's specs I don't get the problem. I'll keep looking.
I just talked to the printer, they have found the origin of the bug!
1. There are 2 different languages chosen in the same paragraph – Swedish is the main language, but one word have Arabic as language (an error which originates from the Indian company that OCR scanned the text into MS Word format).
2. The hyphen is a manual chosen discretionary hyphen.
3. When exporting the PDF the Tagged PDF-box is chosen.
These three (unlikely) events used together creates this crazy bug!
I saw the Arabic (it had English too!) and changed to Swedish but got the same result. I think the manual chosen discretionary hyphen is the main culprit. I'm glad it's sorted out.
Yeah, thanks a lot!
I'll let the printer deal with it – at least it was a real bug in InDesign.
Always nice to solve a mystery...