12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2007 12:33 PM by Deaf Web Designer

    Import from Indesign

    mouligreenlaw
      Hi,
      We use Fireworks 8 for web layout and we work with a design group that uses Indesign. They send us a design from which we generate a website but we have real problems passing files from indesign to fireworks.
      They use macs and can export a pdf that fireworks will open but, for some reason, on our pcs we cannot open pdfs with fireworks so we have to go via an eps file.
      I cant help thinking there must be an easier way for graphic designers using indesign to work with web designers using fireworks.
      Has anybody else got any suggestions?

      Many thanks

      mouli
        • 1. Re: Import from Indesign
          Level 7
          There is little or no compatibilty between InDesign and Fireworks. Is it
          possible for your designer to export out a PSD file from InDesign? It
          would not be perfect, but you would have more luck opening a PSD.

          Jim Babbage

          mouligreenlaw wrote:
          > Hi,
          > We use Fireworks 8 for web layout and we work with a design group that uses
          > Indesign. They send us a design from which we generate a website but we have
          > real problems passing files from indesign to fireworks.
          > They use macs and can export a pdf that fireworks will open but, for some
          > reason, on our pcs we cannot open pdfs with fireworks so we have to go via an
          > eps file.
          > I cant help thinking there must be an easier way for graphic designers using
          > indesign to work with web designers using fireworks.
          > Has anybody else got any suggestions?
          >
          > Many thanks
          >
          > mouli
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: Import from Indesign
            chirp88 Level 1
            You should use Photoshop as an in-between. Open the pdf in Photoshop then save it however you want to open in Fireworks.
            I don't know why anyone would want to design a web site in InDesign (or Quark Xpress for that matter). That was not what they were made for, regardless of their abilities to export into html or GoLive packages.
            They should be using Photoshop for all their web design. Or even Illustrator.
            • 3. Re: Import from Indesign
              Level 7
              Better still, Fireworks :-)

              "cricketbow" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:eu3dq5$fa1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              | You should use Photoshop as an in-between. Open the pdf in Photoshop then
              save
              | it however you want to open in Fireworks.
              | I don't know why anyone would want to design a web site in InDesign (or
              Quark
              | Xpress for that matter). That was not what they were made for, regardless
              of
              | their abilities to export into html or GoLive packages.
              | They should be using Photoshop for all their web design. Or even
              Illustrator.
              |


              • 4. Re: Import from Indesign
                Level 1
                Mouli,

                Please try to understand that InDesign app is specfically designed for high-end professional-quality layout design for newspapers, articles and such... also it is capable of producing high quality PDF documents right off the bat off InDesign.

                While Fireworks is specifically designed and aim for web graphic and photos which can be used for website purpose. You also can create a fundamentals of mockups in Fireworks.

                In fact, there is a good article about mockup being made in Fireworks, you can find this in Fireworks Developer's tutorial articles on "how to".

                Hope that helps, no?

                Cheers, Brian (DWD)
                • 5. Re: Import from Indesign
                  mouligreenlaw Level 1
                  Hi
                  Many thanks for all your comments. It is as i thought but I still think this is an area that could be improved because I believe that graphic designers should be able to swop files with webdesigners using fireworks without learning new software , particularly as they are both adobe products now.
                  Pdf is probably the way to go but fireworks doen't import pdf unless its the mac version. Why is this? If mac fireworks can import pdf, how hard is it to make windows fireworks capable of the same trick?
                  We can do it via eps but we get strange anti alias type effects on sharp edges and thin lines and our theory is that its because Indesign doesn't think in terms of pixels so if a line is positioned such that it overlaps pixels, the edge gets anti aliased and appears fuzzy.
                  Thanks for your intereset in this topic.
                  It looks like we will be developing workarounds for a while. Our web designer is learning Indesign, so now I need to get our graphic designer working with fireworks. lol.
                  • 6. Re: Import from Indesign
                    Level 1
                    If you think imported PDF files into Fireworks 8 shouldn't be a problem especially on Windows, perhaps that you want to make a comment and a suggestion to a wishlist through official link to Fireworks engineers directly.

                    Again, please try to understand that Fireworks 8 is specifically designed for web medium, not print medium. That is to say, Fireworks understand specific web image files format such as .JPG, .GIF, and .PNG files. As well as native Fireworks file format PNG (as I understand that there are two different kind of PNG fomats for Fireworks and other PNG format for web medium). To produce a web PNG format, you need to export it that way.

                    Hope that helps to clear up a bit.

                    Cheers, Brian (DWD)


                    quote:

                    Originally posted by: mouligreenlaw
                    Hi
                    Many thanks for all your comments. It is as i thought but I still think this is an area that could be improved because I believe that graphic designers should be able to swop files with webdesigners using fireworks without learning new software , particularly as they are both adobe products now.
                    Pdf is probably the way to go but fireworks doen't import pdf unless its the mac version. Why is this? If mac fireworks can import pdf, how hard is it to make windows fireworks capable of the same trick?
                    We can do it via eps but we get strange anti alias type effects on sharp edges and thin lines and our theory is that its because Indesign doesn't think in terms of pixels so if a line is positioned such that it overlaps pixels, the edge gets anti aliased and appears fuzzy.
                    Thanks for your intereset in this topic.
                    It looks like we will be developing workarounds for a while. Our web designer is learning Indesign, so now I need to get our graphic designer working with fireworks. lol.



                    • 7. Re: Import from Indesign
                      Level 1
                      I realized I have failed to include a link to Adobe Feature Request/Bug report.

                      The link is:
                      http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

                      Hope that helps.
                      • 8. Import from Indesign
                        chirp88 Level 1
                        Do you not have Photoshop?
                        If not, ask the designers to export the design as a pdf and open it in Photoshop and save it as a png for you. They should be able to do it easily.
                        • 9. Re: Import from Indesign
                          mouligreenlaw Level 1
                          Hi
                          Yes we do have photoshop but it seems like an work around rather than a fix.
                          I guess my question now is why can fireworks in Mac import pdf whereas fireworks in windows cant?

                          many thanks

                          mouli
                          • 10. Import from Indesign
                            thomasbricker Level 1
                            quote:

                            Originally posted by: cricketbow
                            You should use Photoshop as an in-between. Open the pdf in Photoshop then save it however you want to open in Fireworks.
                            I don't know why anyone would want to design a web site in InDesign (or Quark Xpress for that matter). That was not what they were made for, regardless of their abilities to export into html or GoLive packages.
                            They should be using Photoshop for all their web design. Or even Illustrator.




                            The reason why anyone would want to use InDesign to layout a web page is because InDesign is the best app out there for laying out anything!
                            It is fast, intuitive and elegant to use for the design process.
                            Illustrator is bloated and slow by comparison.
                            Most print designers dont know Fireworks.
                            As for Quark, dont get me started. We gave up on that app back in the OS9 days.

                            I truely wish that the path from InDesign to web layout was as easy as from Illustrator.
                            I can only pray that in the CS3 iterations some progress has been made.
                            Please oh please Adobe, make the move...
                            • 11. Re: Import from Indesign
                              Level 7
                              mouligreenlaw;
                              Isn't pdf support integrated into the os on mac? Afaik Adobe has blocked
                              similar support in windows... -Tom Unger


                              • 12. Re: Import from Indesign
                                Level 1
                                Hi Thomas,

                                Have you consider to make a suggestion or feedback on your thought about things you mentioned. I am pretty sure that Adobe software engineers would jot that down under consideration. It is probably that some of your idea or suggestion or feedback might be too late for CS3 currently under development.

                                Go ahead and make some feedbacks on Illustrator, InDesign and Fireworks feedback. Perhaps that you might want to send other feedback once you have CS3 apps on your machine. You might want to test-drive some of these apps where you see fit and match right into your enviornment or design/workflow requirement. Based on your experience working CS3 apps, once they are released in retail market sometime in middle of April (I can't remember when is that would be for, though). I believe once the CS3 products released, then it is available for you or other people in general public to try and test drive. If there are things that you don't like, make a comment or feedback.

                                I am no software engineer, but I can imagine how difficult to develop or code program to make it work. In other words, I believe that feedback and suggestion through official feedback venue works best in my humble opinion.

                                Hope that helps, Brian.

                                quote:

                                Originally posted by: thomasbricker
                                quote:

                                Originally posted by: cricketbow
                                You should use Photoshop as an in-between. Open the pdf in Photoshop then save it however you want to open in Fireworks.
                                I don't know why anyone would want to design a web site in InDesign (or Quark Xpress for that matter). That was not what they were made for, regardless of their abilities to export into html or GoLive packages.
                                They should be using Photoshop for all their web design. Or even Illustrator.




                                The reason why anyone would want to use InDesign to layout a web page is because InDesign is the best app out there for laying out anything!
                                It is fast, intuitive and elegant to use for the design process.
                                Illustrator is bloated and slow by comparison.
                                Most print designers dont know Fireworks.
                                As for Quark, dont get me started. We gave up on that app back in the OS9 days.

                                I truely wish that the path from InDesign to web layout was as easy as from Illustrator.
                                I can only pray that in the CS3 iterations some progress has been made.
                                Please oh please Adobe, make the move...