6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2014 9:51 PM by areohbee

Set metadata, headline to multiple files

Dr-Glenn Level 1

I want to select a number of photos in one directory and set them to all have the same the metadata, IPTC headline.

I found that I could do this:

1. Set IPTC headline for one photo.
      2. Use Metadata/Preset/Copy menu (right-click context menu).
      3. Select a number of other photos.
      4. Use Metadata/Preset/Paste menu.

As a new Lightroom user and former ACDSee Pro user, this seems a bit clunky. Am I doing it correctly? Are there alternatives?

In ACDSee, I would instead do this:

1. Multiple select photos.
      2. Type Headline value in the IPTC panel.
      3. Click Apply button. By default it only overwrites the changed field and leaves others unchanged.
        • 1. Re: Set metadata, headline to multiple files
          dj_paige Level 9

In Lightroom, you should be able to select all of the desired photos, then enter the text in the IPTC headline field, and press ENTER and all photos should now have the desired text in the IPTC Headline field.

• 2. Re: Set metadata, headline to multiple files
            Bob Somrak Level 5

Uncheck "Show Metadata for Target Photo Only" and the metadata changes will be applied to all the selected photos.  If this is checked it only applied to the most selected photo.  Kind of obscure and not very clear menu item.

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 12.05.50 PM.png

• 3. Re: Set metadata, headline to multiple files
              areohbee Level 5

I often have "show metadata for target photo only" checked, since Lr is more responsive that way, and I usually don't want to assign the same title or caption etc to all selected photos.

So, the way I would do it is to use manual sync (click 'Sync' button). you can also use auto-sync (enable, edit, then disable when finished).

Rob

• 4. Re: Set metadata, headline to multiple files
                Bob Somrak Level 5

I think Rob's Auto-Sync idea is the best solution.  I forgot about it as it is not available if "show metadata for target photo only" in UNCHECKED as it is than the default.  I didn't know Lightroom is less responsive with it CHECKED

• 5. Re: Set metadata, headline to multiple files
                  Dr-Glenn Level 1

Thank you all. So you've given me two ways to do it. I like the uncheck "metadata for target photo only" option because it is quicker - don't have to wait for Sync dialog to come up.

The notion that one photo is the "target", even though multiple are selected is something I did not understand.

Anyway, I'm using Lightroom as a 30 day trial. Right now I'm inclined to buy and say goodbye to ACDSee, mainly because the forums here are so responsive! You guys are great.

(I wonder now if I can mark two replies as correct answer? May as well give it a try.

• 6. Re: Set metadata, headline to multiple files
                    areohbee Level 5

Bob Somrak wrote:

I think Rob's Auto-Sync idea is the best solution.

Just note: there is a separate control for library/metadata auto-sync and develop settings auto-sync, even though they appear identical as if there is only one. At the risk of seeming like a moron, I confess it took me years (plural) to figure out why I was getting auto-syncing when I did not expect it and vice versa (auto-sync metadata vs auto-sync dev-settings). In my defense, I had so many problems with auto-syncing that I solved them all via plugin and so really didn't try the native auto-sync feature for very long.

*** NOTE: if you use auto-sync, it's important to be diligent about turning it off. It can be a real shocking nightmare when you realize you inadvertently had auto-sync on for the last x-minutes/hours , especially if you don't notice until x-months/years after the fact .

Bob Somrak wrote:

I didn't know Lightroom is less responsive with it CHECKED

Less responsive with it UN-checked.

There are two problems having it unchecked:

1. If you have hundreds of photos selected, it can take multiple seconds to populate metadata in right-hand lib panel, and if you have 10's or 100's of thousands selected it could take multiple minutes (while your CPU warms the room and your disk drive spins it's little heart out..).

2. All you see is < mixed > for almost everything by the time it finally finishes.

But it's kindofa matter of workflow.. - if you only have one photo selected most of the time, except when you want to target all, then it's not as much of a problem as if you frequently have multiple photos selected, even though you're only working on one at a time.

I leave it checked except for "special occasions".

Sorry - I realize this was more than you asked for.. .

Cheers,

Rob