4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2014 9:40 AM by Angel45

Change the capture time.

Angel45

I own a Sony camera with GPS and I use the characteristic to adjust the camera time in relation with the time zone.  It is very useful because I can complement the pictures taken with my Nikon DSLR when they have been imported with Lightroom as I organize and rename them with the capture time.

The problem is that Sri Lanka, where I shoot my last pictures has, as India, a half time zone and the Sony do not take into account this special event and I didn’t realize it, so my Sony  thought that I was in Dacca and not in Colombo: 30 minutes less.

As result of this situation my pictures have the wrong time and when I import them are wrong placed.

I have found the way to change the capture time with Lightroom but the modification is performed in the catalogue only and not in the EXFIF data as the Sony pictures are JPEG.

Please, is there any way to solve my problem with Lightroom?

Thanking in advance

• 1. Re: Change the capture time.
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

You have two options:

1. Do Edit > Select All followed by Metadata > Save Metadata To File.  This will do a one-time write of all the catalog metadata back to the files.

2. Go to Lightroom > Catalog Settings (Mac) or Edit > Catalog Settings (Windows) and set the option Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.  This will automatically write any changes to catalog metadata back to the files in background.  Many people prefer this option.

• 2. Re: Change the capture time.
            Angel45 Level 1

John, thank you very much for your help.

I execute both actions the second runs but the first only update the last picture. After I  modify the capture time I follow your instructions “Edit > Select All followed by Metadata > Save Metadata To File”  but only the last picture is modified.

Regards

• 3. Re: Change the capture time.
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

After I  modify the capture time I follow your instructions “Edit > Select All followed by Metadata > Save Metadata To File”  but only the last picture is modified.

You need to be in Library Grid mode (Window > Library, View > Grid).  It's a wierdness of LR that when you select multiple photos in the filmstrip, commands only act on the most-selected photo.

• 4. Re: Change the capture time.
                Angel45 Level 1

John, thanks again.

I had forgotten the special behaviour of the Lightroom with the grid view and I had selected the loupe view. In any case I executed the change with the second option that you suggested. By the way, I think that it is a dangerous setting because you can mistake a tag when imported and you can solve the mistake easily in Lightroom  (with grid view, of course) but with a lot of work in the windows explorer.

Thank you very much for your help.