7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2014 11:29 AM by station_two

Constant tool glitch, not a critical problem but incredibly annoying.

Aiden Heese

When I am using photoshop, the brush and eraser tool will constantly turn into the grey swirl icon and stop working until I tap my tablet. I've had this problem since I bought photoshop and I used to pin it down to lag from my old computer, but ever since I bought a new computer (27-inch iMac with 3.5 ghz processor and running OS X Yosemite) the problem have only gotten worse. It happens constantly, and when I try to change between the brush and eraser tool, it sometimes take me three or four tries of pushing the hotkey to make it switch because it just turns into the grey swirl. I saw a previous post about a somewhat similar problem, and I tried implementing the solutions (the two I tried were turning off save in background and turning off use graphics processor) and neither worked. I could really use some help as this is incredibly annoying and is preventing me from working. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Constant tool glitch, not a critical problem but incredibly annoying.
          Level 7

That sounds like you are triggering something, like a tablet setting, and OS function, or some utility program.

Check your tablet settings, OS settings, and any utility programs you may be using.

• 2. Re: Constant tool glitch, not a critical problem but incredibly annoying.
            Aiden Heese Level 1

Ok, I checked my tablet and the drivers were out of date, I updated them and it has helped a lot, though it still happens when I try to change tools. It takes several tries to switch between any tools. Do you know what might be causing THAT problem and how I can fix it? Thank you for your previous advice as well.

• 3. Re: Re: Constant tool glitch, not a critical problem but incredibly annoying.
              Level 5

Aiden Heese wrote:

…it still happens when I try to change tools. It takes several tries to switch between any tools. Do you know what might be causing THAT problem and how I can fix it? Thank you for your previous advice as well.

Those intermittent pointer abnormalities, together with the intermittently disappearing cursor were/are common with Apple with many versions of OS X, unfortunately. They are infuriating.

I cannot presume to know what causes it, but I have found some workarounds and certain things that help for some unknown reason.

1.— The fastest way for me to restore the correct or disappearing tool pointer, even in ACR, has been to switch momentarily to another running application, click on anything there, and return to Photoshop  Command + Tab cycles through the OS X program switcher, even when a modal dialog box like ACR is running.

2.— What helps a lot in minimizing the frequency of this bug is NOT having Safari (aka Slowfari) running in the background.

3.— What helps the most to prevent the occurrence of the bug is to never use Safari, ever.  I use Firefox 33.0.1.

Again, this has been my personal experience at least since Tiger, I have no direct insight as to this bug.

• 4. Re: Constant tool glitch, not a critical problem but incredibly annoying.
                Aiden Heese Level 1

Ok, so its just a problem with OSX. That is really weird, I'd always figured they would put special effort into making it work right on OSX. But for me what fixes it is just to tap my tablet (so basically just click the mouse) and it goes back to normal, but it will take me like six tries to switch tools. Thanks for the advice, I know all too well the downfalls of slowfari, I use chrome personally.

• 5. Re: Constant tool glitch, not a critical problem but incredibly annoying.
                  Level 5

Adobe puts a heroic effort to make Photoshop work with the OS, but they can't fix Apple's bugs in their OS.

Such pointer issues happen with other applications too, not just Adobe's, but they are more obvious with Photoshop because Photoshop puts more demands on the OS than most other apps.

Disclaimer:  I do not work for Adobe—and Adobe doesn't consider me a customer despite my 30 years of buying Adobe products because I did not sign on to subscription Cash Cow model.

• 6. Re: Constant tool glitch, not a critical problem but incredibly annoying.
                    rkelly0137 Level 4

No, I have the same problem, intermittently with Windows.  At least, a similar problem.  Mine happens whenever I try to draw anything, regardless of the tool.  Tapping fixes it, but just for that stroke, and I have to repeat the process next stroke.  It's usually enough to make me do a restart to get rid of it.  I have had some luck with just restarting Photoshop, but it didn't always work.  Ever since upgrading to SSD I just do a full computer restart since it's so quick.

I'd love to hear a solution, but haven't found one yet.  The problem is so intermittent it's hard to track down.

• 7. Re: Constant tool glitch, not a critical problem but incredibly annoying.
                      Level 5

rkelly0137 wrote:

…The problem is so intermittent it's hard to track down.

Yup!