4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 3:57 AM by Snipdog

Treat JPEG files next to raw files as seperate files still imports and displays them as seperate images

Snipdog

Hi, I am taking RAW + JPEG files on a Nikon D810. The RAW files are saving to a CF (primary slot) and JPEGs to an Eye-Fi card (secondry slot). When I am importing into Lightroom 5 directly from the camera, even though I have 'Treat JPEG files next to raw files as seperate files' UNchecked in preferences, it still imports and displays them as seperate images. I am trying to import the JPEG as a sidecar file only to the RAW file as I have read about but this is not happening, any ideas why? Thanks

• 1. Re: Treat JPEG files next to raw files as seperate files still imports and displays them as seperate images
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you view the contents of the camera via an OS viewer do the JPGs and the raws show up adjacent to each other in the list or listed apart from each other? 

If you view them in the Import grid is the JPG next to the raw files with the same base name?

I’d guess the issue is that the JPGs are in a different folder on the camera than the raws so aren’t seen as being “side cars” of the raw files.

• 2. Re: Treat JPEG files next to raw files as seperate files still imports and displays them as seperate images
            Snipdog Level 1

Well in Lightroom they are apart from each other before the actual import, all the JPGs list first then all the NEF files next. The same actual photo as the NEF or as the JPEG both have the same file name apart from the .JPG or .NEF so that is not the problem. The NEFs go to the CF card and the JPGs go to the EyeFi SD card, I think you are onto the issue but I'm not sure what I need to do to fix it. I guess I need to change a setting on the D810 itself. There really doesn't seem to be any other settings apart from the RAW + JPEG vs only one or the other and allocating which card is primary for the RAWs and which card is secondry for the JPEGs. I really need the JPEGs to go to the EyeFi SD (secondary) for live iPad image viewing and not to the same primary card (CF) as the NEFs (RAWs) go. This does seem to be a typical setup so I would think it has been encountered before.

Thanks for your help any other advise is appreciated.

• 3. Re: Treat JPEG files next to raw files as seperate files still imports and displays them as seperate images
              Jim Wilde Level 5

For the "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" option to work when it's unchecked, the "pairs" of Raw+Jpeg need to be in the same folder that you're importing from. So given your need to have the jpegs on the EyeFi card, you could copy the contents of both cards into one folder on your hard drive, then import from that one folder.

Alternatively, you could import only from the CF card as normal, then outside Lightroom copy the contents of the EyeFi card into the same destination folder that you just imported the CF card into. When that copy is complete, back in Lightroom right-click on that folder in the Folders Panel and select "Synchronize Folder" and that will update the raw files to "Raw + Jpeg" pairs, the jpeg being recorded as a sidecar.

• 4. Re: Treat JPEG files next to raw files as seperate files still imports and displays them as seperate images
                Snipdog Level 1

Ok, looks like I have to get over the importing JPEG as a side car to the RAW file and I can't see any way to import from the CF card only. Looks like every time I want to import directly from the camera to Lightroom I have to actually remove the EyeFi card from the camera first to avoid having a duplicate JPEG of the Raw file imported, unless of coarse I want to take the time to uncheck all the JPEGs files individually. As someone new to Lightroom I would have thought my setup would be relatively common and would be catered for but apparently not. Thanks for the replies all the same. If anyone knows a method of selecting just one card to import from in a dual slotted media card camera setup I'd be happy to hear about it. I have looked but can't seem to find this option.