4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2014 3:19 PM by Visualart.be Branched from an earlier discussion.

After Effects not reporting virtual cores

Visualart.be Level 1

I'm currently installing my new workstation and came across the same issue however, I have 36 physical cores, 72 virtual cores but only 36 are visible by AE.

Using latest CC2014.

• 1. Re: After Effects not reporting virtual cores
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Relax.  It's not that important.  AE doesn't use virtual processors.

As Mylenium pointed out in a previous thread, AE makes spotty use of the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously feature, because not all effects can use it -- they only use one core.  If you have a lot of effects stacked on a layer, and only ONE of those effects is limited to a single processor, AE will use a single processor.

If you wish to use multiprocessing if at all possible, an acceptable rule of thumb is to allocate 1/4 of your PHYSICAL processors  to the OS and other applications, and let AE have the others, with about 4 gigs memory assigned per processor.  If it's able to use multiprocessing, it will, but it's a crap shoot.

• 2. Re: After Effects not reporting virtual cores
            Visualart.be Level 1

ok, fair enough, brings me down to my next question, how can I assign more then 6gb (max selectable in dropdown) per process ? I got 256GB at hand.

Most of the time I don't use all cores assigned to AE anyhow (cause it's plane silly to have like 35 instances of ae running on your system)

About time AE gets some proper multithreading doh...

• 3. Re: After Effects not reporting virtual cores
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> how can I assign more then 6gb (max selectable in dropdown) per process ?

Those values in the menu are under your control. You can change them in the preferences file. The line that defines the 6GB entry looks like this:

"MP - Allocation Per Background Process v2 Preset VI" = "6.000000"

• 4. Re: After Effects not reporting virtual cores
                Visualart.be Level 1

Hi Todd, thanks for the feedback, managed to change it.

However onto next thing when I look at the resources AE is using it's far from using the potential of my new workstation.

Are there specific things I should look at or change to get AE more up to speed ?

Current hardware setup:

2x Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 @2.30Ghz (2x18core)

256GB Ram

System disk: 2x120gb SSD RAID0

Scratch disk: 2x120gb SSD RAID0

Workdisk: 4x512GB SSD RAID0

Video: 2x GTX980

Windows 8.1 Pro

So for example, I'm loading in a 4K DNG sequence, I would expect Disk Usage would get up to maximum speed, however in Resource monitor it shows it's using only a mere 10MB/sec

For this example CPU & RAM are behaving quite normal as I don't expect it to be CPU intensive or Fill up my RAM completely.