3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 5:09 AM by John Mensinger

How to get text at bottoms of text frames to match

AlyMcF1 Level 1

I have 200 pages of text in a 6x9" document, and each text frame has auto flowed into the text frames I established via the master pages.

All was well, until I decided I wanted to try to eliminate widows. Toward that end, I changed the Keep Options on my Body Text style (the style that most of the text either is, or is based on) to Keep Lines Together (2 lines) at Start/End of Paragraph. Now my widow situation is much improved, but I notice that the text no longer ends evenly at the bottoms of the pages. Most of the time, it is pretty even, and when it is off, it is typically only off by a half a line or so. Still, it is enough that I think it will be noticeable when it is printed.

Under Justification in Paragraph Styles I have "Full Justify" selected which I know controls the justification from the side to side.

But is there a way to make the text justify from top of the page to the bottom?

I was thinking it might have to do with Leading, but I am not sure what, if anything there, to change. My body text is 11 pt, my headers are 14 pt, and both are set to 14 pt leading. I would think that would make each line even enough that this wouldn't a problem, but maybe I'm missing something. It's almost as if I need some kind of auto leading for each page so they will be even from top to bottom.

• 1. Re: How to get text at bottoms of text frames to match
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Consistent leading is good, but do any of your styles have Space Before or Space After?

There is a vertical justification setting in the Text Frame Options dialog. (Object > Text Frame Options > Vertical Justification > Align: Justify

Trickier method, but you could also use a Baseline Grid to ensure alignment.

• 2. Re: How to get text at bottoms of text frames to match
            AlyMcF1 Level 1

Ah yes my Heading style had a Space After of .1528 in. I changed that to 14 pt (which changed it to .1944 in) and now the bottoms are either lined up, or off by what looks like 1 line's worth of text. Which makes sense I guess. So that's an improvement of sorts.

So now I'm looking at (Object > Text Frame Options > Vertical Justification > Align: Justify) and wondering…how can I apply this to the majority (400+) of my text frames at once? I just tried selecting it on Master Pages and applying it to my pages but nothing seems to be changing. (Though I have to admit for some reason I can't find any text frames on my Master Pages in order to select them to choose Text Frame Options…hm)

• 3. Re: How to get text at bottoms of text frames to match
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To change it for a given text frame, the frame must be selected when you execute the menu command.

AlyMcF1 wrote:

…how can I apply this to the majority (400+) of my text frames at once?

To change the setting of existing frames throughout your document, use Edit > Find/Change.

• Choose the Object tab.
              • Set the Search: field to Document.
              • Set the Type: field to Text Frames.
              • If there is a formatting attribute common to all the text frames you want to target and change, click the glass/frame icon next to the Find Object Format field to access the Find Object Format Options dialog and set that common attribute.
              • Click the glass/frame icon next to the Change Object Format field to access the Change Object Format Options dialog and set the Align: field to Justify under Basic Attributes > Text Frame General Options > Vertical Justification.
              • Step through the Find Next/Change sequence to selectively apply the change, or click the Change All button if you're certain you want all the found frames changed.