7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2014 12:03 PM by Test Screen Name

Missing files when exporting?

AE73

My older version of InDesign was never missing files when I exported/created PDFs. For some reason, now my printers are saying that they need attached or embedded tiffs, etc. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong or what I might need to "check" in some sort of dialog box. Thanx in advance folks!

• 1. Re: Missing files when exporting?
          Doc Maik Level 4

What was the older version and which one are you using now?

Did you copy the export settings from the old to the new version and if not, why not?

In case you didn't copy, compare the old and new export settings. If they say they need embedded TIFF, then the old export settings were most probably set to convert images to TIFF and not JPG, whereas JPG is default.

• 2. Re: Missing files when exporting?
            AE73 Level 1

Older was CS4, now using 5. Didn't copy the export settings, that makes total sense... I'm silly to not have. Will check and see what's different about embedding and such. Thanx Doc!

• 3. Re: Missing files when exporting?
              AE73 Level 1

Old settings aren't showing up or perhaps I deleted them by mistake Doc. I went through all the options in the "Export" dialog box options but can't seem to find an area where/option I can embed my images. Some help perhaps? Thank you sir.

• 4. Re: Missing files when exporting?
                Doc Maik Level 4

Images are automatically embedded, but can have different formats. As your printing company requested, they should be TIFF. So you might just set the image export format to TIFF instead of JPG.

The old settings were probably deleted when uninstalling the old version. Actually, the installer asks to delete or keep them. The PDF export settings (*.joboptions) are stored in the user path.

• 5. Re: Missing files when exporting?
                  Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

No idea what you mean by "convert to TIFF". This is about delivering PDFs? There are no TIFFs in a PDF. There are just images, compressed. The compression could be JPEG (happens to be the same as in JPEG files) or ZIP (also called Flate, as found in ZIP files, PNG, some TIFF files...)

If the printing company say specifically they want TIFF, and you are delivering a simple PDF, this sounds very strange.

• 6. Re: Missing files when exporting?
                    Doc Maik Level 4

I didn't write anything about conversion, but I confused something. I always thought the image format in PDFs could also be TIFF.

But the thread starter wrote " now my printers are saying that they need attached or embedded tiffs," so I thought he/she would just need to set up PDF export to what the printing company wants and all is fine.

• 7. Re: Missing files when exporting?
                      Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

A PDF can contain a lossless TIFF (i.e. the exact pixels from a TIFF), or from any other image format... but it will never be an actual TIFF inside the PDF. If the printing company give settings to use, that would be great, but until they do I can't understand what they mean by the reference to TIFF.