5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 9:07 AM by Zebodog

Workflow: using LR w/2 computers, 1 catalog?

Zebodog

Is it possible? I'm wanting to use my desktop (PC) and Macbook Pro, and be working at both locations, with the same catalog.

I'm thinking I could have all photos on an external hard drive, and move that around between the two machines, but will that work.....keeping a copy of catalog on both machines?

I can't quire wrap my head around how it could work!

Or should I have one (desktop) be the "home base," and then, when I work on the laptop, what, export a library/catalog to move the modified image.

My head hurts thinking of it! Any workflow suggestions welcome. Thanks much

• 1. Re: Workflow: using LR w/2 computers, 1 catalog?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Put the catalog and the previews on the same external hard drive in their own folder. When backups of the catalog are done, make sure they are saved on a different hard drive from the external hard drive.

• 2. Re: Workflow: using LR w/2 computers, 1 catalog?
            Zebodog Level 1

Thanks Jim.

I had been thinking having the catalog on external hard drive would slow things down…guess that’s not an issue?

And do you happen to know: will the catalog be readable/written OK w/ me having LR3 on desktop and LR5 on laptop?

Thanks again,

Mark

• 3. Re: Workflow: using LR w/2 computers, 1 catalog?
              NicHamilton Level 3

Running the Catalogs and previews from an external drive may slow things down, it depends very much on the type of drive and its connection to your computers.

However, your biggest issue will be running different versions of LR on the two machines.  LR5 will want to upgrade the LR3 catalog and LR3 will not be able to use the LR5 catalog.  You need the same version of the software on both machines I'm afraid.

• 4. Re: Workflow: using LR w/2 computers, 1 catalog?
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom 3 and Lightroom 5 use different catalog formats, and are not compatible with each other. You need to be running Lightroom 5 on both computers. Your license entitles you to two installations for your personal use. The only reason not to upgrade the Lightroom 3 is if the operating system won't support Lightroom 5. Having the catalog on the external drive could have a slight impact on performance. I have done it a few times. Most notably was when I was working on wedding photos from my daughter's wedding. I didn't notice any performance issues at all. If both computers support USB 3 then I would make sure the external hard drive does as well.

• 5. Re: Workflow: using LR w/2 computers, 1 catalog?
                  Zebodog Level 1

It was in fact an OS issue: I've been a Capture NX user for years, and have clung to Windows XP because of it, but now that I've gotten a taste of Lightroom, and liked it, I guess it's time to bite the bullet, move over to Lightroom 5 everywhere (have LR3 on desktop), and get Windows 8. The time has come!