8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 10:23 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12 dual Display & Other Problems

JDL_

I have Premiere Elements 12, just installed on my system.  I just purchased it a few days ago at the camera store along with a camera.

The system is:

• Windows 7 64 Bit
      • 8 gigs of ram
      • Older Intel Q6600 QuadCore CPU
      • nVidia GeForce GT630
      • Monitor 1: Samsung SyncMaster 1600x1200 older display for the general monitor.
      • Monitor 2: Dell ST2421L 1920x1080 display for the video and photographs monitor.
      • 5.7 Tbytes of Hard drives connected.
      • Focusrite Saffire audio.

1. Closing the program takes forever.

2. Opening the program always occurs on monitor 1, which is not desired, and always starts at 1600x1200.

3. I try to make the window for Premiere Elements smaller so I can drag it over to the proper monitor.  The program and Windows/nVidia will not repaint the desktop properly.

4. I try to move the window over to the 2nd monitor and it is like only a shell of the window starts to move.  I release the mouse and the entire screen does not repaint properly.  It is simply a mess.  Pressing <F5> on the desktop clears it up.

5. I try to maximize Premiere Elements on the 2nd monitor, and it immediately flips over to display #1, the Samsung.

6. Go through the procedure to get the application onto the 2nd monitor & manually resize, hoping to fill the screen.  At a certain point during the resizing, the application simply flips over to the Samsung (monitor 1) as maximized.

7. Program menus are always very slow/sluggish.

This is how display 1 looks with the 1st attempt at resizing the application.

1badresize.jpg

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 dual Display & Other Problems
          JDL_ Level 1

Also using Logitech G700 mouse.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 dual Display & Other Problems
            A.T. Romano Level 7

JDL

I suspect a conflict between your video card/graphics card and the dual monitor system.

What happens to your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 issues if you

a. have connected only the Samsung and use it

or

b. have connected only the Dell and use it?

Also, what Windows theme are you using?

More later.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 dual Display & Other Problems
              JDL_ Level 1

No Aero is running.  I'm using Windows classic.

Using my computer in the manner you are describing testing with only one monitor will be difficult.  It is quite set up with icons where they need to be for quick usage in groups on the desktop.  I do a lot of work with this computer.  I've had the creative cloud Premiere on this machine before and it ran fine with both monitors and the video card as is.  I went to the store, got a particular camera, and they offered this software at the time which I accepted.  This version (12 Elements) of the software does not run well at all.

No other program has these kinds of problems at all.  I'm not sure this will suggestion will be immediately helpful.  This has something to do with initialization of the program and I want to put this suggestion on the back burner for the moment.

The software does start up in Expert Mode.  I have to keep selecting Dual Monitor Mode.

I've also noticed that I must keep resetting the sound to the Saffire ASIO, that it will not save in the preferences.  I have tried running in Administrator level, and it does not make a difference.

The Premiere Pro CC version does not have these issues at all.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 dual Display & Other Problems
                JDL_ Level 1

This is 12.1 (20140225.12.1.620828).

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 dual Display & Other Problems
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

JDL

Thanks for the reply.

You wrote

The software does start up in Expert Mode.  I have to keep selecting Dual Monitor Mode.

I believe this is related to the fact that Premiere Elements 11 and later does not seem to retain memory of the dual monitor set going from saved closed reopened dual monitor

project. Please review and see if this applies to your situation

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Dual Monitor Workflow Concerns

If it does apply, that seems to be the way it is. We are not Adobe. So, I am not sure of the Adobe intent in this mode of operation.

You wrote

I've also noticed that I must keep resetting the sound to the Saffire ASIO, that it will not save in the preferences.

Have you looked at this from the angle of drivers? Never worked with Saffire ASIO audio interface. What type of connection are you using - firewire or USB?

Any firmware update explored?

At this time, the above is being mentioned for troubleshooting purposes only.

You mention "Premiere Pro CC version does not have these issues at all." I suspect that this is not an issue of Premiere Elements 12 against everything else.

Other software appear to have problems with Saffire ASIO audio interface.

Selecting Focusrite USB ASIO driver crashes PPro and AE CS5.5

Please review and consider, and then let me know if I have stayed on target with what you are asking.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 dual Display & Other Problems
                    JDL_ Level 1

The Liquid Saffire 56 is a firewire interface.  The device is fully up to date and with up to date drivers.

It seems that some of the preferences in Premiere Elements 12 are not saving. 

Premiere Pro had no issues with this audio interface, and did save preferences if I remember correctly.  I was also using it in conjunction with Audition which worked fine as well.  I had no difficulties on this system with those two products.

Everything else works.

There are so many issues with Premiere Elements 12 on this computer that are completely unique to that program.  It seems to me the outlay for the software with the camera I purchased was not the way to go.  I wish I could take the software back for all of the trouble it is for the moment.

I do appreciate your help.

Here is how the monitors are set up within Windows.  This worked fine with Premiere Pro and Audition.

2MonitorSettings.jpg

3MonitorSettings.jpg

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 dual Display & Other Problems
                      JDL_ Level 1

I just tried recording from the Logitech webcam, a C910,

Premiere Elements 12 completely froze up.

I'm going to try uninstalling, removing all traces of the application, and reinstalling.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12 dual Display & Other Problems
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

JDL

When you do the uninstall reinstall, please consider the following scheme

a. Deactivate the program in an opened project's Help Menu/Sign Out. Close out of there.

b. Uninstall Premiere Elements 13 using the usual Control Panel way

c. Do a free ccleaner run through to get rid of any leftovers from incomplete uninstalls/reinstalls

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

d. Reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Sometimes, even after that, the delete of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs files and, if necessary, the deletion of the whole 13.0 Folder

in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists can be of use.

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If necessary, delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path

cited.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR