6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2017 6:13 AM by briane50906161

What are transient documents and where are they stored after posting to the RESTful API?

envintusllc

I'm trying to better understand what transient documents are used for and how they fit in to the EchoSign workflow. I've successfully written integration to upload a file via POST to the /transientDocuments and do receive the document ID, but I do not see the newly created document anywhere in my  EchoSign account. I do understand they only exist for 7 days and the returned document ID can be used in an agreement or widget, but where is this document viewable at in my EchoSign account?

• 1. Re: What are transient documents and where are they stored after posting to the RESTful API?
          Jat ATS Adobe Employee

Hi,

Transient documents are the way to get your documents in an echosign Agreement. And as such are not to be avoided but are there to be used as a way to get your document to become available for use with other API methods. A transient document by itself has no meaning other than to be a source to be used in the Agreement, Widget or Library methods, hence the word transient. To make it the transient doc stick, you need use it in any of the aforementioned methods.

There's no method to list, current, past or future transient documents, though you can create your own database of returned IDs and query that instead.

An Echosign agreement is a package, consisting out of document(s), recipients and other agreement related info.  Using the REST api there is no mechanism allowing for a direct upload of a document in an Agreement package, like there is for example with the SOAP API. The soapAPI let's you upload content in base64 form directly into the Send Agreement method. rest requires you to create a transient document first, then to use this ID in Agreement, Widget or Library methods as the file source.

Thanks

Jat

• 2. Re: What are transient documents and where are they stored after posting to the RESTful API?
            tylern68939392

Can you post your code on how you successfully written integration to upload a file via POST to the /transientDocuments? I am struggling.

• 4. Re: What are transient documents and where are they stored after posting to the RESTful API?
              EdRoxter Level 1

It's pretty easy, you can simulate it with the REST API documentation:

https://secure.eu1.echosign.com/public/docs/restapi/v5

1. Open the "Base URIs">"Get Base URIs" accordion tab. If you have a legacy integration token, you can paste it into the "Access Token" field; otherwise click the "OAUTH ACCESS-TOKEN" button on the right hand side and tick, for example, "widget_write" if you want to create a widget based upon a transient document.

2. If you have, either with integration token or OAuth access token, filled the "Access Token" field, click "Try it out" and the first API call is transmitted. It should return a JSON response with the API points that are to be used for further API calls. The demo page will use this data automatically for every other API call you make.

3. Now open the "Transient Documents">"POST /transientDocuments" tab. Paste your access token from the baseURI call, select a file (PDF files will likely work fine). Click "Try it out".

4. The transientDocuments call will return the transientDocumentID, which is valid for 7 days. It can only be used in further API calls, no other interaction with it is intended. It's just stored on the API server and assigned this ID.

5. You may, for example, then create a widget based upon the file. Open the "Widgets">"POST /widgets" tab. Paste your Access Token. Then, enter a WidgetCreationRequest like this minimalistic one, for example:

{  "widgetCreationInfo":{   "fileInfos":{    "transientDocumentId":"HERE_IS_YOUR_TRANSIENT_DOCUMENT_ID"   },   "name":"My Test Widget",   "signatureFlow":"SENDER_SIGNATURE_NOT_REQUIRED",   "counterSignerSetInfos":{    "counterSignerSetMemberInfos":{     "email":"countersigner@mydomain.com"    },    "counterSignerSetRole":"SIGNER"   },   "locale":"en_US"  } }

6. Click "Try it out". It should work a few seconds, then return a success message with some of the widget's metadata like the public URL. At this point, the widget will, of course, be visible in the web interface as well.

Voilà, this is how transient documents work. You just upload a file and can then reference its ID in further API calls. Of course, as soon as the agreement, widget whatsoever is created, it doesn't depend on the transient document anymore. So when the transient document gets deleted after 7 days, the widget (agreement...) created out of it will, of course, not vanish. The transient document is your raw PDF (doc, docx..) source file uploaded to the Adobe servers. As soon as you create something out of it with another API call, it will be converted into the "package" mentioned by Jat ATS.

It's just a convenient way to transmit your base document to the API servers.

Hope this helps with further understanding!

• 5. Re: What are transient documents and where are they stored after posting to the RESTful API?
                briane50906161

Can someone please post code for sending a transient document in c#  I can't get it to work.

• 6. Re: What are transient documents and where are they stored after posting to the RESTful API?
                  briane50906161 Level 1

Here's c# code that actually worked for me:

if (!File.Exists(@"documents\1-Registration Form.pdf"))

{

return;

}

var objClient = new RestClient(@"https://api.na1.echosign.com:443/api/rest/v5/");

var objRequest = new RestRequest(@"transientDocuments", Method.POST);

objRequest.AddFile("File",  @"documents\1-Registration Form.pdf"), "1-Registration Form.pdf");

objRequest.AddHeader("Access-Token", "--My Token--");

objRequest.RequestFormat = DataFormat.Json;

IRestResponse objResponse = objClient.Execute(objRequest);

var content = objResponse.Content;

JObject jsonLinq = JObject.Parse(content);