2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 7:32 AM by Rick Gerard

parenting not working

langwellenreiter

i added 3d camera tracker

i added null object

null object follows great (just like when i create any other object to the tracker, like solid, text...)

i selected the camera in compositing view

i select the null object as parent

my child layer is NOT following

what's wrong?

i can easily create new composition, add a null object, move it around with keyframes, add another layer and select null object as parent -> this works... but not the other!

can anyone help? please please please with sugar on top!

• 1. Re: parenting not working
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't understand what you're doing. Some screenshots might help.

• 2. Re: parenting not working
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you are misunderstanding Camera Tracking. The only thing that moves is the camera. If you attach something to a 3D null created with the Camera Tracker then that layer will not move in in comp space. As Szalam said - I don't understand what you are trying to do. I do not know what a compositing view is. I'm guessing it's one of the custom views or the top, front, left or right views.

If you select the camera and you move it then you have fouled up your camera tracking. If you attach a null to the camera by making the camera the parent then the null will not move in relation to the camera and there fore it will not move in the frame. The null will stay in exactly the same position relative to the camera, which is what parenting does. The background will be moving so things may look very odd unless you're trying to attach something like a gun sight to the shot.

If you can explain what you are trying to accomplish maybe we can help you.