5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 2:17 PM by D Fosse

Photoshop not convertting color settings regardless of warning..

artiisan1

Despite what settings I put into photoshop...the colors are coming out the same but only on a few different files and restarting the computer is the only thing that seems to fix this....O_o I have also set the settings in lightroom to srgb before posting this and am coming up with the same issues..

problem 1.jpgproblem 2.jpgproblem 3.jpgproblem 4.jpgproblem 5.jpg

• 1. Re: Photoshop not convertting color settings regardless of warning..
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know why you are getting that warning. It appears that you have your settings set appropriately in Photoshop. I suggest that you try changing your Lightroom output to Prophoto, and change your Photoshop settings accordingly. Then you can convert the profile in Photoshop at the end of your editing session. That way you could take advantage of the wider color space as work in Photoshop. It's your choice, of course.

• 2. Re: Photoshop not convertting color settings regardless of warning..
            artiisan1 Level 1

I set it up precisely to get the warning so I can convert the photo in photoshop to a srgb color space before editing  . I changed the color space to prophoto and even changed it to adobe rgb to see if photoshop would convert them properly at the beginning and the end of editing...and got the same result. Second question, if your using pro photo at the beginning of your editing is the photo supposed to start with muted tones and at the end when you convert the photo to srb for web have the correct tones?

• 3. Re: Photoshop not convertting color settings regardless of warning..
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not that I'm aware of. I start my Photoshop work using the Prophoto color space because that is what Lightroom uses. My experience is that the image looks the same in Photoshop as it did in Lightroom. And a proper conversion to sRGB should draw little attention to any change in color. I usually don't even change color spaces in Photoshop because I do all of my exporting and most of my printing from Lightroom. But when I do convert to sRGB I don't see any real change. So I have no idea what is happening in your situation.

• 4. Re: Photoshop not convertting color settings regardless of warning..
                artiisan1 Level 1

Just got finished taking to Pratik Niak ...and we figured it out..... not sure why but having a black profile is the culprit

hope 1.jpg

The remedy is to add this profile to your windows Color management "srgb virtual device model profile (default)  wsrgb.cdmp"

10745035_10102054703085716_1205442751_n.jpg

• 5. Re: Photoshop not convertting color settings regardless of warning..
                  D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This means you had a defective monitor profile. This can sometimes trip up one application while another manages to work with the profile. Or they may both be wrong but in slightly different ways.

In Windows there is no "blank" profile. If a custom profile is not present, Windows will load sRGB and applications will use that. But don't use the WCS version; use the one called sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

What happens when you view the image is that the source profile, whatever it is, is converted to the monitor profile, and the document RGB values thus modified are sent to the display. So even if the source profiles are different, the destination profile is the same - so the end result on screen should be identical (within gamut limitations). Unless the destination profile (monitor) is defective.

The real remedy is to buy a calibrator to make a new custom profile, one which is an accurate description of that particular monitor.