6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2014 7:28 AM by lostnsanity

Is there a way to insert/update .js files in an .oam after publishing?

lostnsanity Level 1

I'm working on a rather complex Animate project that utilizes Edge Commons and jQuery UI. I'm using Edge Animate CC 2014 because 2014.1 broke some of that functionality and I was already too far into the project to update the code.

When I'm testing the project via "Preview in Browser" everything works great. But when I publish as either a .oam file or as web, the project is just broken. The interactive elements that depended upon Edge Commons are gone.

I've narrowed the issue down to the three files "index_edge.js", "index_edgeActions.js", and "index_edgePreload.js". If I copy the working files from the Animate project directory and replace the published versions, the web export works. I'm assuming Edge Animate is compressing the code in these files and that is breaking something. However, I need a .oam file so that it can be utilized by the next person in the chain. Is there a way to replace those three files with the 'working' versions within the .oam file?

• 1. Re: Is there a way to insert/update .js files in an .oam after publishing?
          eg4190

I've read that a dirty little secret about OAMs is that they are actually just renamed .zip files.  If you rename your .oam file to a .zip file, you can edit the contents.  When you're done, just rename the .zip back to .oam.  This method doesn't appear to break anything, but I'm no expert.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to insert/update .js files in an .oam after publishing?
            lostnsanity Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I have tried this method and it seems to work via Winzip if you don't actually unzip, but merely replace the contents through the Winzip browser. Actually unzipping and rezipping seems to make it so that Muse, for instance, no longer recognizes it as an .oam file even after changing the extension back.

Unfortunately, the .oam is slightly more than a zipped version of the 'web' export option and replacing the three files doesn't restore functionality like I had hoped. There are additional files added including an 'index_oam.xml' file and a 'config.xml' file that I can only assume would also need to be edited to get it to work.

The real solution would be for the Edge Animate software to avoid compressing the .js files and I have no clue how to get it to do so.

• 3. Re: Is there a way to insert/update .js files in an .oam after publishing?
              resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I suspect that this could be something else causing the trouble. I suggest that you post your project for review. If you cannot post it publicly, please send a link to your files to a dev member (not me) so they can look at  it.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to insert/update .js files in an .oam after publishing?
                lostnsanity Level 1

I have shared the files in a different post, but I'll share it here for redundancy. Here is a zip of the project. It was created with Edge Animate CC 2014 and shouldn't be opened with 2014.1 because the new version breaks Edge Commons. If you run the html file, everything should work in a browser, but if you open the Animate project and 'Publish' the output won't work.

https://copy.com/o9KBdfVAntyH3uPA

• 5. Re: Is there a way to insert/update .js files in an .oam after publishing?
                  Siva. Level 3

Hi ,

Open your edgeProject/index_edgeActions.js.Replace the following with single line comment. Open in edge animate 2014 and publish again. Published content will work

/*================================================================================

change Q number to match breakers || Q should = breakers +1 to account for 0 value if no BK0 exists

____

|    |

|    |

|    |                   DOUBLE CHECK BECAUSE OF BK0

|    |

|    |

|    |

__|    |__

\        /

\      /

\    /

\  /

\/     

================================================================================*/

Like this.

//================================================================================

//change Q number to match breakers || Q should = breakers +1 to account for 0 value if no BK0 exists

//         ____

//        |    |

//        |    |

//        |    |                   DOUBLE CHECK BECAUSE OF BK0

//        |    |

//        |    |

//        |    |

//      __|    |__

//      \        /

//      \      /

//        \    /

//         \  /

//          \/     

//================================================================================