8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 4:38 PM by areohbee

Can I apply two presets

L.R.Cote Level 1

I'm a newbie and can't find the asnwer. I need to make enhancements to about a hundred pictures, and want to do it with presets. I want to brighten (using Auto Tone) and enhance (using either Direct Positive or Medium Contrast Curve) it looks like only the last preset gets applied. Do I have to apply one preset, export the pic, import it again and apply the next preset? Or am I missing a way to apply both>

All help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Can I apply two presets
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can apply as many different presets to an image as you want. However, any adjustments that overlap in subsequent presets will replace the settings of previous presets. So you need to design them so that they don't overlap. The tone curve could easily modify auto tone.

• 2. Re: Can I apply two presets
            L.R.Cote Level 1

I need a way to (almost) automate this process, since there are so many pics, so altering Tone Curves isn't an option.  I'll have maybe two minutes to do each photo. I've applied two or three presets and it looks like the last one chosen is the one that effects the picture the most. I'll try experimenting with the order I apply each one and see how it works. Thanks!

• 3. Re: Can I apply two presets

One easy way to automate the process if all the images written by the same adjustments would be to highlight all the images and activate auto-sync. That way, the adjustments made to the image that has focus will be applied immediately to all the other images. Of course that wouldn't eliminate the need to check all the other images just in case one of them didn't need all of the adjustments.

• 4. Re: Can I apply two presets
                L.R.Cote Level 1

I'm not following you, Jim. I can't find Auto Sync, and what's the "image that has focus"?  We'll be getting these images from many different sources and I have to make sure they'll print well. Some might be to light, others too dark. Some might just be crummy (particularly from a phone), which is why each has to be evaluated on its own merits.

• 5. Re: Can I apply two presets

If you highlight a group of images (do you know how to do that?) One of those images will have a lighter border than the other images that have been highlighted. It's the image that has focus in that highlighted group. When you have multiple images highlighted, look at the sync button in the lower right-hand area of the develop module. There is a little switch on the side of the button. If you click on that switch it will change to auto-sync. Then, any adjustments that you make to that image will be applied to all images that are highlighted.

Capture.JPG

• 6. Re: Can I apply two presets

Well then I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that all the images needed the same adjustments. If each image is going to have to have its own individualized adjustments than the auto-sync probably isn't going to work very well for you. You can create a whole bunch of different presets depending on your needs. Different tone curves, different exposure settings, different color balance settings, etc. And you can choose from those different presets. But there isn't any way to prevent one preset from affecting what was applied by a previous preset. If you want to try to use the quick develop feature in the library module any adjustments made there will be made incrementally to the previous setting. But you are quite limited as to what you can do.

• 7. Re: Can I apply two presets
                      L.R.Cote Level 1

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead you. These images are being submitted to be optimized then printed and framed. I've taken a bunch of available photos and I'm playing with the presets - some of them are really nice, others are dreadful, but I'm sure someone uses them.  Thanks for your time today.  Louise

• 8. Re: Can I apply two presets
                        areohbee Level 5

Hi Louise,

Overlapped settings of one preset will overwrite (replace) previous adjustments, regardless of where they came from.

The quick develop section is the only way to apply bulk adjustments in Lightroom which takes previous adjustments into account.

Note: auto-sync mode is absolute too (adjustments made in auto-sync mode discard previous setting in favor of new common setting).

If you want to apply presets relatively (cumulatively..), or make other bulk adjustments not supported by quick develop section, you have to use a plugin.

I use Gazoo, which is free, and I wrote it, but there are others if you prefer..

Rob