7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 11:20 PM by areohbee

import XMP files to clustered RAWs (in many seperate folders)

jannathanael

Hi guys !

I do one catalog for each project, with multiple different folders per camera and card.

now I need to apply some settings from xmp files that were edited by a third party.

How to get the xmp's conveniently to sing with the raw's clustered all over the place ? Why isn't there an "import XMPs for THESE selected files from THAT folder" option, or where is it ? feature request

Thanks !

Cheers, Jan

PS: running the whole thing on OSX Mav / LR 5

• 1. Re: import XMP files to clustered RAWs (in many seperate folders)
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Photo->Read metadata from files

• 2. Re: import XMP files to clustered RAWs (in many seperate folders)
            dj_paige Level 9

Why isn't there ... ?? Most likely because no one ever requested it, and I believe with a small change in your workflow, you don't need this feature

Instead of multiple folders for each project, put everything in one folder, and then segregate as needed by collection or keyword. Now, there's no problem reading the XMP files, they all go into the one and only folder for this project and they can all be read at once via Metadata->Read Metadata from Files.

• 3. Re: import XMP files to clustered RAWs (in many seperate folders)
              jannathanael Level 1

Well, yeah sure I could change that - but If you work on many cameras chances are that you might get duplicate file names (I know I can add some pre or postfix in the cam) so I rather put them in neatly separate folders.

So there isn't a nice and convenient way to do it right ? Taking the detour and export the images into a new catalog with a single folder just to get the xmps copied alongside them.

Considering the big folder approach though, as it seems more convenient down the road ...

Thanks anyways, guys !

• 4. Re: import XMP files to clustered RAWs (in many seperate folders)
                dj_paige Level 9

So there isn't a nice and convenient way to do it right ?

From my point of view, there certainly is a nice and convenient way, change the names in the camera so that there's no possibility of duplication, and then use one folder. Are there any drawbacks to this approach?

• 5. Re: import XMP files to clustered RAWs (in many seperate folders)
                  jannathanael Level 1

I always liked the multiple folder approach - that way one can see all the copies made from the cards and cams, so that nothing is overseen in the migration process. But as I said, I will consider and test the big folder approach with the next shoot. Nevertheless it would've been nice to see that Lightroom offers all the possibilities when it comes to data storage approaches. And if one could specifically select which xmps were to import for already imported files this would be awesome, while not being unthinkably impossible to implement. What do you think ?

• 6. Re: import XMP files to clustered RAWs (in many seperate folders)
                    dj_paige Level 9

Sure its possible to implement. There's probably thousands of requests that Adobe has that are possible to implement, and most of them will not get implemented, because only a very small number of people would ever use those features — as I said, this has probably never been requested before.

Nevertheless it would've been nice to see that Lightroom offers all the possibilities when it comes to data storage approaches.

I'm pretty sure this is not Adobe's philosophy and goal for Lightroom. Lightroom offers a limited set of possibilities (actually, all software offers a limited set of possibilities), and you can either adapt, or figure out workarounds, or not use the software.

I always liked the multiple folder approach - that way one can see all the copies made from the cards and cams, so that nothing is overseen in the migration process.

I fail to see how the one folder approach is any different in this respect.

• 7. Re: import XMP files to clustered RAWs (in many seperate folders)
                      areohbee Level 5

If you want to impose your will on Lightroom, rather than having Lightroom impose it's will on you, then you must:

* be clever, and/or

* use plugins (or scripts..).

As dj_paige has been saying, Lightroom is NOT designed to make it easy for you to work any way you want, but to make it possible for you to work efficiently, if you are willing to adapt your workflow..

That said, let me see if I fully understand the problem - you have photos "scattered all over", but then you receive xmp files which need to be distributed to various and sundry folders, and it's not clear from the filenames, which folders.

If that's a pretty-good summary, then here are a couple recommendations:

* name files with folder-identifying prefix.

* Import from "matching" 3rd party catalogs, instead of using xmp.

Alternatively, you can use the 'Import XMPs' script, which does exactly what you want (free, by me):

robcole.com - MiscLrScripts

Que dices?,

Rob