5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2014 11:32 AM by ThomasT

Mask in one layer - inverse mask in others

ThomasT

Hallo,

I'm creating a composition based on serveral semitransparent layers. Each layer is a tiff-image-sequence with alpha channel. With transparent, opaque and semitranparent parts.

Some of them are variants of the same image sequence. They are result of a key processing with different settings. And I want to combine the best results.

Say have tree layers.

In one part of the image (and at a given time) I want to see layer 1. So I created an animated mask (add). No problem.

But I dont want to see layer 2 und 3 shining through. I want to see only layer 1. In semitranparent parts in layer 1 the lower layer will shine through.

Thats why I need an inverse mask (subtract) in layer 2 und 3 below.

Is there a way to make this more efficient? Every time I change the masks in layer 1 I had to change them in 2 und 3 also!

With opaque images it would not be a problem.

Any ideas?

Regards Thomas

• 1. Re: Mask in one layer - inverse mask in others
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Why mess with masks?  Animate the layers' opacity.

• 2. Re: Mask in one layer - inverse mask in others
            ThomasT Level 1

That would show the whole image.

But I want, say in the left corner layer2 in the right corner layer 1 as the visible layer.

• 3. Re: Mask in one layer - inverse mask in others
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Without seeing your time line to know exactly what's going on it's hard to say but if you wanted to create a mask to animate a single corner of a layer you could add a solid with an animated mask in the corner then use the solid as a track matte for the layer below. If you wanted to hide a third layer then pre-compose your track matte with the mask making sure you move all attributes, then move it above the third layer and set that copy of the track matte to Alpha Inverted. This will give you the same thing with only one mask to edit. You will get a different look than simply animating the first matte but for most of my projects I don't find it necessary to stack up layers in this manner. Here are the two approaches. TrackMatteTests.aep

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 8.08.21 AM.png

If you provide more details or a screenshot maybe I can suggest another idea.

• 4. Re: Mask in one layer - inverse mask in others
                Dave LaRonde Level 6
                But I want, say in the left corner layer2 in the right corner layer 1 as the visible layer.

Plan out the animation.  Animate the mask path to coordinate with the animation of the opacity.  Try to use as few masks as possible, or split layers to make new masks.

• 5. Re: Mask in one layer - inverse mask in others
                  ThomasT Level 1

compmasks.jpg

Just to give you an ideal.

This is a composition that creates an keyed image out of four keying result image. I used luminance keying against the sky. And there is no gernal approach as for chroma keying possible. I wrote my own software for it.

The magenta mask is for the "main" layer. The layer that is good on the average. Its bad for hairs and for egdes with motion blur. Thats why the back and the belly is mask out.

The right line is a subtraction mask that removes the part of the hair. Here the lower "hair" layer shines through.

But I think I found a solution. In some cases the lower layer doenst hurt. But I try to blend then in the solid parts.