3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2014 11:51 AM by A.T. Romano

Moved Premiere Elements 10 project Error: "Project is not compatible with current version of Premiere Elements"

txnoda

After moving an entire client folder from an external hard drive to an internal one, the client's video, created in adobe premiere elements 10, will no longer open in adobe premiere elements 10. It appears to be loading the project, and instead of completing, the following error message is displayed: "The project is not compatible with current version of Premiere Elements."

The same thing occurs when attempting to open the archive files.

New projects, and unmoved projects behave properly.

Moved projects receive this error.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 on a solid state drive (SSD) (c:/), where premiere elements is installed

My documents, including the project I need to work with are on my "storage" drive (HDD). it is (f:/)

• 1. Re: Moved Premiere Elements 10 project Error: "Project is not compatible with current version of Premiere Elements"
          A.T. Romano Level 7

txnoda

I will need to go over step by step what you did in order to figure this one out....

You wrote

After moving an entire client folder from an external hard drive to an internal one, the client's video, created in adobe premiere elements 10, will no longer open in adobe premiere elements 10. It appears to be loading the project, and instead of completing, the following error message is displayed: "The project is not compatible with current version of Premiere Elements."

What is the client's video? Are you referring to a video file that is an export from a prior Premiere Elements 10 project? If so, what are the properties (including file extension) of that video that you are trying to import into a new Premiere Elements 10 project? On the other hand, your error message suggests to me

that you are trying to import a project file (not source video) into another project file which you cannot do. It is the wording "The project..." which is confusing here if all you have is a .mov, .wmv, mp4 or the like video file.

You wrote

The same thing occurs when attempting to open the archive files.

What option did you use for the Premiere Elements Project Archiver for your "archive files"? The Archive Project or Copy Project option?

Did you open the Trimmed or Copied Folder, right click the project.prel file, select Open With, followed by Premiere Elements 10?

You wrote

My documents, including the project I need to work with are on my "storage" drive (HDD). it is (f:/)

If you right click this project file in Documents, select Open With, and select Premiere Elements 10, are you getting any missing media messages?

Or, are you saying that you get this

"The project is not compatible with current version of Premiere Elements."

If you put everything back the way it was before the moves from the external hard drive, is the problem resolved?

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Moved Premiere Elements 10 project Error: "Project is not compatible with current version of Premiere Elements"
            txnoda Level 1

Thank you for your reply. I'm a bit frazzled with deadlines, but let me try to answer your questions.

• The client's video means: video taken on surveillance with a Canon FS40, that has been uploaded to my computer, run through DVMP in batch format to burn-in the date/time stamp and create a new .avi file from the original .mod and .moi files. The .avi files are named in the following format: YYYYMMDD_HHMM_ClientID_InvestigatorInitials_originalfilename.avi for example, a clip from last night for John Doe by investigator BD Pool might be named as follows: 20141105_2359_14DoeJoh_MOV04D.avi
            • It's not an import/export situations, this is just trying to open the project itself. The video clips are in a folder named Timestamped, and the project goes into a folder named DVD. Both of these are in a folder named Video within the client's main folder. Nothing should be changed or broken unless premiere is saving some type of file somewhere other than in my client folder and the link is breaking
            • Whatever the default setting for archiving is, it hasn't been changed from the original at installation. I just tried using one of the files in the Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save folder. I don't see anything referring to trimmed or copied. Right-click and open with gets me to the same error message. The project tries to load, and at 100%, I get the same compatibility error. There's no other message. Premieire will launch or remain open, with no project loaded, just live menus across the top.
            • I don't know if it gets fixed by moving it back. It's about a year's worth of investigation and takes quite some time to move, I just need it to work. Someone has to have encountered this issue before. My deadline is such that if I have to begin again, I might make it if I get going now and use FEDEX Red to get it to them.
            • 3. Re: Moved Premiere Elements 10 project Error: "Project is not compatible with current version of Premiere Elements"
              A.T. Romano Level 7

txnoda

Archiving Aspects of this.....

First let clear the matter of the "archiving" as a life saver.... We do not appear to be on the same wave length.

a. I am talking about File Menu/Project Archiver with its Archive project and Copy project options. This feature is a safety net to save you when you

inadvertently disconnect source media from the project file. With the Archive option (Trimmed Folder result), you get saved to the computer hard drive (safe keeping) a copy of the project file plus copies of the media that were taken to the Timeline. With the Copy option (Copied Folder result), you get copy of the project files plus copies of much more.

b. Instead, you appear to be talking about "archiving" in the context of AutoSaves. AutoSaves are saved snapshots of the project at various phases of the edit. They suffer from the same shortcomings of the original project that has been disconnected from its source media.

When you import media into a project, all you get are copies of the originals in the project. But, those copies need to trace back to originals at the locations where they were when first imported into the project. Moving, renaming, deleting files/folders that went into the project after the project save close leads to some very time consuming messy situations.

What to do....

If you can, put everything back the way it was. If not.....

Let me emphasis some factors..

You wrote

Here you mention specifically "client's video". Later you detail with .mod files converted to .avi. What kind of .avi? If you have converted to AVCHD.avi or H.264.avi, they have been found not to be compatible with Premiere Elements. You should not be able to import them into any new or old project.

From what you described, I am envisioning

"Video" Folder

which contains 2 folders named

"Timestamped Folder" with .avi files

and

"DVD" Folder with the project file (project.prel)

The project file has many files generated automatically in the course of it workflow. Where do you have them going?

(See Premiere Elements  10 Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Discs). If you have the Scratch Discs directed

"Same As Project", then we would expect all those files to be going to the DVD Folder in the above scenario.

If we could open the project and get greeted with some "Where is the file.....?" messages, that might give us some hope.

But that is not the case.

Consequently from what you have said, I am suggesting that the path of least resistance is try to recreate the "before".

Please review and consider.

ATR

Add On...Not sure if it will assist in the matter, but the following is the link to Adobe's document related to troubleshooting

damaged projects.

Troubleshoot a damaged project file | Adobe Premiere Elements