5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2014 1:11 AM by Doc Maik

line alignment cross columns and spacing issue

eric2013 Level 1

Hi All,

I am using CC to do article layout for a scholarly journal and have 3 questions:

1. I have a hard time to always align text lines across two columns on the same page. For body text, I use 9.5 point, automatic leading which is 11.4.  I have different levels of subheadings which have different spacing (before and after paragraph) specification. they all use auto leading. Since htere are so many variables, what are the principles for getting main text lines aligned across columns, for example, what do I need to set fixed first, what next?

2. The 2nd question is if I have two levels of headings (each has space before and after) together, how to ask ID not to add too much space between the two headings?

3. Probably this is the same question as #2: For some paragraph which has both space before and after, if the next paragraph has the same style as the one in front it, no space is needed between the two. How to do this?

thank you very much in advance for your help!

Eric

• 1. Re: line alignment cross columns and spacing issue
          Doc Maik Level 4

1. Use the document grid. You can checkmark it in the paragraph style options.

2. "Ask" ID? The spacing before and after a paragraph is defined in the style options. If you have, for example, first heading level 1, then heading level and want them to have less space, you could either decrease after spacing of level 1 or before spacing of level 2. If you have the other situation, with "level 1, then text" or "level 2, then text", you may adjust spacing on the text style only, so the text would always have the same spacing before itself, no matter if level 1 or level 2 is above.

3. See 2. Afaik, you cannot dynamically change spacing.

• 2. Re: line alignment cross columns and spacing issue
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Ultimately yi may find that having both space before and space after is not practical in a single stye and you'll want to add some more styles to handle the first or last paragraph of a list or the first paragraph after a list.

• 3. Re: line alignment cross columns and spacing issue
              eric2013 Level 1

"2. "Ask" ID? The spacing before and after a paragraph is defined in the style options. If you have, for example, first heading level 1, then heading level and want them to have less space, you could either decrease after spacing of level 1 or before spacing of level 2. If you have the other situation, with "level 1, then text" or "level 2, then text", you may adjust spacing on the text style only, so the text would always have the same spacing before itself, no matter if level 1 or level 2 is above. "

Thank you guys for replying. So you cannot specify in style to ask ID to automatically adjust space for situations like two different levels of headings together, and you have to do that manually?

• 4. Re: line alignment cross columns and spacing issue
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You should NEVER do it manually. Redefine either your style so it will fit on all places or create another style for other situations.

• 5. Re: line alignment cross columns and spacing issue
                  Doc Maik Level 4

No, too complicated. This would require scripting like IF...THEN...ELSE. Other word processors like MS Word can't do that either.