1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 6, 2014 11:02 AM by lingualect

how can light room always recognize photos on external HD

lingualect

I keep a lot of my photos on an external hard drive to which I have created a path so lightroom knows where they are. However, if I open lightroom first, and then connect the hard drive, it doesn't know where the photos are and I have to go through the process again of telling lightroom where each folder, which has a question mark, is. I was wondering if there is a way that once I tell lightroom where the folder is on the external hard drive when I connect the external hard drive lightroom will automatically know where the photos are -  Just as it does with the photos on my computer's hard drive. Isn't this the way it's supposed to be? Any tips would be most helpful.

• 1. Re: how can light room always recognize photos on external HD
          NicHamilton Level 3

Is the drive letter of the external drive changing? 

Can't think of another explanation...just checked with my system and whilst the external drive was powered down it showed as missing in LR and all the folders had question marks. However, upon re-powering the drive everything returned to normal with no action required on my part.  This is as how I expect it to work (though usually the drive is plugged in and on anyway).

You shouldn't need to tell Lightroom anything.

What's your OS and Lightroom version?

• 2. Re: how can light room always recognize photos on external HD
            lingualect Level 1

Nothing on the external drive is changing. I expected it to be exactly how you described: when the drive is not connected, the folders have question marks. But then when you connect it, they go away. Can't figure out how to make lightroom remember those folders on the HD.

OSX 10.9.5, Lightroom 5.6