• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get a version of Adobe Reader for an IPod touch with IOS 6.1.6

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no option to upgrade IOS to version 7 or beyond.  Current app store wants IOS 7 or better to download to my IPod.

Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe , iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jojohume,

Have you ever successfully installed an older version (not the latest version) of Adobe Reader for iOS on the iPod Touch using your Apple ID before?  If you have never installed Adobe Reader using the particular Apple ID, it may explain why you keep getting the dialog with the OK button (i.e. no Download button).

Here's what you can do for an experiment.  (I am not sure if this would work.  But it's worth a try.)

1. On your iPod Touch, check the Apple ID that you use for the App Store (Settings > iTunes & App Store).
  2. On your Windows or Mac computer, open iTunes.
  3. Sign in iTunes using the same Apple ID that you use for your iPod Touch.
  4. Find Adobe Reader and download it to your computer.  Do not try to install it on your iPod Touch because the latest version is not compatible with your iPod Touch anyway.  Now, Adobe Reader is associated with your Apple ID.  This is the important step to be able to download an older, compatible version on your iPod Touch later.
  5. Switch back to your iPod Touch and repeat the steps described in my reply #1.

It sounds like you have already tried iTunes on your computer.  Please switch back to your iPod Touch and try installing Adobe Reader using the same Apple ID again.

Hope this works.

Here is the Apple documentation that I've found.

Install the latest compatible version of an app on an earlier version of iOS or OS X - Apple Support

If a compatible version isn't available, you can try contacting the app developer. Look for contact information on the app's product page in the App Store or Mac App Store.

The documentation itself is not very helpful.  But I can confirm that we offer Adobe Reader for iOS version 11.0.1 that is compatible with iOS 5 in the App Store.

You may also want to post your question to Apple Support Communities.

Welcome | Apple Support Communities

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest version of Adobe Reader for iOS is compatible with iOS 7 or above.  However, the App Store can detect your iOS version and offer the latest compatible version (11.0.1) of Adobe Reader.

1. Go to the App Store on your iPad/iPhone/iPod.  (Do not use iTunes on your computer to download Adobe Reader for iOS.)
  2. Find Adobe Reader in the App Store.
  3. Tap Install.
  4. Tap Download in the dialog below.

iOS7Required.png

Please try installing again if you do not see the dialog for the first time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2014 Nov 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response,

I followed instructions 1, 2 and 3 above.  I got a different popup message that didn't give me an option to load a prior version.  I'm not sure what to do now.IMG_0647.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2014 Nov 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you try installing from the App Store again?

I have seen the same dialog with the OK button before.  When I tried a few more times, I eventually got the dialog with the Download and Cancel buttons.  (It looks like an Apple bug in the App Store app.)

I was able to install Adobe Reader version 11.0.1 on my iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1 this morning (when I replied to your first post).  Because the iOS version on your iPod Touch is 6.1.6, it should be compatible.

Tech specs | Adobe Reader mobile app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I tried installing from the App Store several more times but I still got the same popup saying it needed IOS 7 or later.  I even turned off then on the IPod ( too much Windows reboot training) but no better results.

I even connected the IPod to iTunes on my PC.  From PC iTunes downloaded Adobe Reader then it tried to put Adobe Reader on the IPod.  The icon on the IPod said 'installing' but never fully installed.  I kind of expected this since the version on iTunes PC is 11.6.3 and is under an IPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a little research into this. Not much is known, but some speculate that this option is only available if iTunes (on computer) previosly downloaded a suitable version - maybe it is able to make use of the older download, but app store does not deliver them. Just a thought, unconfirmed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jojohume,

Have you ever successfully installed an older version (not the latest version) of Adobe Reader for iOS on the iPod Touch using your Apple ID before?  If you have never installed Adobe Reader using the particular Apple ID, it may explain why you keep getting the dialog with the OK button (i.e. no Download button).

Here's what you can do for an experiment.  (I am not sure if this would work.  But it's worth a try.)

1. On your iPod Touch, check the Apple ID that you use for the App Store (Settings > iTunes & App Store).
  2. On your Windows or Mac computer, open iTunes.
  3. Sign in iTunes using the same Apple ID that you use for your iPod Touch.
  4. Find Adobe Reader and download it to your computer.  Do not try to install it on your iPod Touch because the latest version is not compatible with your iPod Touch anyway.  Now, Adobe Reader is associated with your Apple ID.  This is the important step to be able to download an older, compatible version on your iPod Touch later.
  5. Switch back to your iPod Touch and repeat the steps described in my reply #1.

It sounds like you have already tried iTunes on your computer.  Please switch back to your iPod Touch and try installing Adobe Reader using the same Apple ID again.

Hope this works.

Here is the Apple documentation that I've found.

Install the latest compatible version of an app on an earlier version of iOS or OS X - Apple Support

If a compatible version isn't available, you can try contacting the app developer. Look for contact information on the app's product page in the App Store or Mac App Store.

The documentation itself is not very helpful.  But I can confirm that we offer Adobe Reader for iOS version 11.0.1 that is compatible with iOS 5 in the App Store.

You may also want to post your question to Apple Support Communities.

Welcome | Apple Support Communities

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MobileDevCK,

I followed your latest steps and it works!!  Thanks so much for your responses.  I never had used Adobe Reader on this iPod or any other iOS device.  It seems that getting a version of Adobe Reader into my iTunes account (Adobe Reader ver 11.6.3) was the trick.   Using the same Apple ID on my iPod I was able to use the App Store to locate Adobe Reader.  (I did not connect the iPod to the PC).  I selected the cloud icon because there was no  'free' icon option. I am guessing the cloud option was due to just getting Adobe Reader through my PC iTunes.  Then the popup offered to download an older compatible version. I now have Adobe Reader version 11.2.4 on my iPod.

Thanks again,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jojohume,

Thank you for letting us know that it worked for you.

I did not realize that we have another compatible version 11.2.4 for iOS 6!

Here's additional (and more accurate) information.

• Adobe Reader version 11.6.3 (the latest version as of November, 2014) is compatible with iOS 7 and 8.
  • Adobe Reader version 11.2.4 is compatible with iOS 6.
  • Adobe Reader version 11.0.1 is compatible with iOS 5.

The following wikipedia page contains the information about the highest supported iOS.

List of iOS devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For example,

• For the first generation iPad, the highest supported iOS is 5.1.1.  The latest compatible version of Adobe Reader for iOS is 11.0.1.
  • For the fourth generation iPod Touch, the highest supported iOS is 6.1.6. The latest compatible version of Adobe Reader for iOS is 11.2.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 23, 2014 Nov 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you MobileDevCK,

Your instructions on downloading the app to its older version works. I did download Adobe Reader app and it works out fine.  Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2016 Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked for me with iPad 1!  Thank you!  I downloaded on my iPhone and opened, then went to iPad and tried to download again. Offered me the older version and I am happy. Adobe Reader is perfect if I want notes and bookmarks from the MacOS Preview app to transfer over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I can't believe it, but this just worked for my son's 1st gen IPad.  Thanks so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines