6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2014 5:42 PM by A.T. Romano

I have a black border around my video and I would like it to be full screeen

BruceKeenan

I am running Premier Elements 10 on a PC and I am getting a black boarder around the video and I have rendered it multiple ways.   Is there a way to get it gone?  This is the link for youtube.  HCC 2014 video Final - YouTube

Thank you

Bruce

• 1. Re: I have a black border around my video and I would like it to be full screeen
          A.T. Romano Level 7

BruceKeenan

Somewhere along the line from project preset to export settings there is a mismatch of settings.

1. What did you set as the project preset in the new project dialog that met you when you opened that new project?

If you did nothing, you probably have a NTSC DV Standard 4:3 or PAL DV Standard 4:3 project set up.

2. What are the properties of the source media that you imported to the Timeline of this project?

Video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio?

3. When your imports were on the Timeline, did they present in the Edit area monitor with black borders (top, bottom, right , left)?

4. When you went to export that Timeline, please give me a specific example of your Share/ choice and settings (default or customized

preset under the Advanced Button/Video Tab)?

Right now I am guessing that you setup for a 4:3 project and exported as 16:9. But, let us see what your details indicate.

Thank you.

ATR

Also, you may find the following YouTube Advanced Encoding Settings document of interest.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

• 2. Re: I have a black border around my video and I would like it to be full screeen
            BruceKeenan Level 1

Answers below in CAPS  and THANK YOU Bruce KeenanPresident, Himalayan Children's Charitieswww.hccnepal.org

To: Bruce Keenan <bckeenan@yahoo.com>

Sent: Thursday, November 6, 2014 5:04 PM

Subject:  I have a black border around my video and I would like it to be full screeen

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussionBruceKeenan Somewhere along the line from project preset to export settings there is a mismatch of settings. 1. What did you set as the project preset in the new project dialog that met you when you opened that new project?If you did nothing, you probably have a NTSC DV Standard 4:3 or PAL DV Standard 4:3 project set up.  MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM 2. What are the properties of the source media that you imported to the Timeline of this project?Video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio?  I AM USING MP4 VIDEOS SHOT IN 1920, 16:9 FORMAT.   3. When your imports were on the Timeline, did they present in the Edit area monitor with black borders (top, bottom, right , left)?  ONLY BORDERS TOP AND BOTTOM, NOT LEFT AND RIGHT 4. When you went to export that Timeline, please give me a specific example of your Share/ choice and settings (default or customizedpreset under the Advanced Button/Video Tab)?  I HAVE TRIED A F4V-HD 1080P PRESET WHICH GETS ME A MP4 OUT AND A NTSC DVD WIDESCREEN WHICH GETS ME A MPEG2 Right now I am guessing that you setup for a 4:3 project and exported as 16:9. But, let us see what your details indicate. Thank you. ATR Also, you may find the following YouTube Advanced Encoding Settings document of interest.https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6906818#6906818 Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:  To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.  Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 3. Re: I have a black border around my video and I would like it to be full screeen
              A.T. Romano Level 7

BruceKeenan

Thank you for the reply with a lot of important details.

With a 99.9999% certainty, I believe you issue is that

a. you used 4:3 project settings for 16:9 source media

b. when you imported that 16:9 source media you used it as is without scaling

it to get rid of the black border at the top and bottom of the frame caused by the 16:9 source in

a 4:3 project.

Apparently when you opened the new project, you accepted the default which is NTSC DV Standard 4:3 instead

of changing that to the project preset that would best match the properties of your source 16:9.

For you to check out...

a. Open a new project and, in the new project dialog, click on change settings, followed by

changing the project preset to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

b. If you really want a F4V file HD, then

Computer

Adobe Flash Video

with Presets = F4V - HD1080p (Flash 9 and Higher)

If you want a MPEG2 file (SD), then

Computer

MPEGS

with Presets = NTSC DVD Widescreen

If you want a MPEG2 file (HD), then

Computer

MPEG2

with Presets = HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality

If you want to explore with an AVCHD.mp4 file (HD), then

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets =  MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30

Lots to explore. And, there should be no black borders anywhere. If any questions or need

clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: I have a black border around my video and I would like it to be full screeen
                BruceKeenan Level 1

Answers in CAPS.  But from playing with the file, it does not appear that I can get rid of the black border.   I would have to start again from scratch.    I tried a FV4 file format and a AVCHD.mp4 format and they both have black borders.   Any other suggestions on how to get rid of the border, or is it impossible at this point.

Thanks Bruce KeenanPresident, Himalayan Children's Charitieswww.hccnepal.org

Sent: Thursday, November 6, 2014 6:14 PM

Subject:  I have a black border around my video and I would like it to be full screeen

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussionBruceKeenan Thank you for the reply with a lot of important details. With a 99.9999% certainty, I believe you issue is thata. you used 4:3 project settings for 16:9 source mediab. when you imported that 16:9 source media you used it as is without scalingit to get rid of the black border at the top and bottom of the frame caused by the 16:9 source ina 4:3 project. Apparently when you opened the new project, you accepted the default which is NTSC DV Standard 4:3 insteadof changing that to the project preset that would best match the properties of your source 16:9. For you to check out... a. Open a new project and, in the new project dialog, click on change settings, followed bychanging the project preset toNTSCDSLR1080pDSLR 1080p30@29.97   

I OPENED A NEW PROJECT AND THE STANDARD SET WAS NTSC-DV-STANDARD-48kHz WHICH IS MY PROBLEM AS YOU POINTED OUT.    

b. If you really want a F4V file HD, thenShareComputerAdobe Flash Videowith Presets = F4V - HD1080p (Flash 9 and Higher) If you want a MPEG2 file (SD), thenShareComputerMPEGSwith Presets = NTSC DVD Widescreen If you want a MPEG2 file (HD), thenShareComputerMPEG2with Presets = HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality If you want to explore with an AVCHD.mp4 file (HD), thenShareComputerAVCHDwith Presets =  MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30 Lots to explore. And, there should be no black borders anywhere. If any questions or needclarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you. ATR Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6906984#6906984 Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:  To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 5. Re: I have a black border around my video and I would like it to be full screeen
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

BruceKeenan

Thanks for the reply.

I would have to go deeper into your situation to determine if we could edit the Notepad document of the saved closed project file

in order to correct the project preset issue. But, in the long run, it will probably save more time starting a new project with

the project preset suggested and begin anew.

Before you do that, you could do a mini test run to prove to yourself the benefits of starting over. With the mini test run completed

successfully, it might be incentive to start anew for the grand project.

The following is an idea of what we would need to go through if we wanted to try to correct the current project's condition.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/11/pe10-changing-project-preset-without.html

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you for the follow ups.

ATR

• 6. Re: I have a black border around my video and I would like it to be full screeen
                    BruceKeenan Level 1

AT

Thank you for the reply.  I am hosting an event where this video will be shown tomorrow, so unfortunately, there will not be time to do it over.   I am sure that I will have the correct setting to start when I create my next video, but for now, this will have to suffice.

Thank you again for your support. Bruce KeenanPresident, Himalayan Children's Charitieswww.hccnepal.org

Sent: Thursday, November 6, 2014 7:34 PM

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussionBruceKeenan Thanks for the reply. I would have to go deeper into your situation to determine if we could edit the Notepad document of the saved closed project filein order to correct the project preset issue. But, in the long run, it will probably save more time starting a new project withthe project preset suggested and begin anew. Before you do that, you could do a mini test run to prove to yourself the benefits of starting over. With the mini test run completedsuccessfully, it might be incentive to start anew for the grand project. The following is an idea of what we would need to go through if we wanted to try to correct the current project's condition.http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/11/pe10-changing-project-preset-without.html We will be watching for your progress. Thank you for the follow ups. ATR Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6907322#6907322 Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:  To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 7. Re: I have a black border around my video and I would like it to be full screeen
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

BruceKeenan

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry that you did not post sooner on this.

You will do just fine presenting your students and their futures.

Best wishes

ATR