4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2014 8:11 AM by SJRiegel

Spot colors

KenWK Level 1

Can I create this with spot colors in Photoshop?

The blue is and purple are both Pantone colors, the light block behind the text at the left is 15% of the Pantone blue.

Thanks,

Ken

Capture.JPG

• 1. Re: Spot colors
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sure. Read the help on Multi Channel files and how to add a spot color channel.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Spot colors
            KenWK Level 1

Yeah, I'd done that, but I thought, "This can't be the way this works." But I guess it is!

No way to maintain layers in a multichannel file, huh?

Thanks for answering.

• 3. Re: Spot colors
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since your design is mostly text, it seems like it would be much easier to create this in either Illustrator or InDesign.

• 4. Re: Spot colors
                KenWK Level 1

It's an existing cover, we often scan this type of thing for one particular client. I was trying to get this to fit into that existing workflow.

I managed to get everything in there and save as an EPS, which when pulled into InDesign exports a PDF with the spot colors indicated.

I see I can't save as a PDF from Photoshop and I tried printing from there to the Adobe PDF printer but I got all CMYK. Is there somewhere I can make that save the spot colors?

Thanks,

Ken

• 5. Re: Spot colors
                  SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your photoshop file is set as cmyk with spot channels, instead of multichannel, you can save it as a pdf and preserve the spot colors. The CMYK channels will be empty, so they should not affect your final product.