4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2014 6:43 PM by A.T. Romano

How do you compress a video in Adobe Premiere Elements 13?

annie2081

Hello,

I am attempting to upload a video to vimeo from my adobe premiere 13 account, however, I need to compress the file. Any advice would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: How do you compress a video in Adobe Premiere Elements 13?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

annie2081

Please clarify what you are asking.

a. Are you asking what export settings that you should use for an upload to Vimeo via Premiere Elements 13's

Publish+Share/Social Websites/Vimeo

or

b. Are you asking how to reduce the size of a video file so that its file size will be acceptable to Vimeo?

What is the file size of original video? When you get to Publish+Share/Social Websites/Vimeo, what is shown

as the estimated file size and duration of the upload?

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do you compress a video in Adobe Premiere Elements 13?
            annie2081 Level 1

Gosh, I am really new to all this. So my knowledge is limited.

First, yes, I need to first compress the video size (family event filmed for 45 minutes).

It is 24 KB.

Description: SD

File Type: h.264

Frame: 640X480

Frame Rate: 30

Audio Setting: AAC, 256 kbps, 44 kHz, Stereo

File Size: 753.73 MB / 46 min, 39.39 Sec

• 3. Re: How do you compress a video in Adobe Premiere Elements 13?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

annie2081

Thanks for the reply.

Could you let us know the following....

What is the file extension of this video - mp4 or .mov or other?

Do you see anywhere where it states the video bitrate - it would be in units of kbps or Mbps.

You already posted the bitrate for the audio (256 kbps).

Then we can plan our strategy.

I do not believe that there is a duration limit at Vimeo. But, the larger video file size would be

expected to create longer download time before viewing for the viewer. What we are going to try to do is reduce

the file size without creating problems with the quality. The duration will remain the same.

Do you want the whole 45 to 46 minutes? Or, do you plan to edit out some of the content?

ATR

• 4. Re: How do you compress a video in Adobe Premiere Elements 13?
                annie2081 Level 1

Thank you.

It is a .prel file.

I looked over Premium for the bitrate and could not find it anywhere.

I do not plan to edit it so, it would be 46 minutes long.

• 5. Re: How do you compress a video in Adobe Premiere Elements 13?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

annie2081

Here is the plan.

From the .prel file extension, it would appear that is your project file into which you brought your source video.

If you can, start again....

1. Open Premiere Elements 13 to its Expert workspace

2. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

3. In Change Settings, set the project preset to

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra 30p

Close out of there.

4. You will next face the new project dialog with your newly set project preset. Make sure to have a check

mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" there. Close out of there.

5. Back in the Expert workspace, import your video into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project

Assets. From Project Assets, drag the video to the Timeline Video Track 1/Audio Track 1.

6. We are going to export the Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive and observe

the export's file size

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = NTSC DV Standard....but next we are going to customize that preset for our needs....

7. Click on the Advanced Button and then the Video Tab under the Advanced Button.

In the Export Settings dialog, customize the settings so that they read as shown in the screenshot

in the area below the Tabs.

AVCHD.JPG

To the right of Frame Width and Frame Height is a box. You may find it with a chain link in it.

Click on the chain link to remove it so that you can type in the 640 Frame Width and

480 Frame Height. It is cut off in the screenshot's bottom, but for now we want Target Bitrate = 3 Mbps

and Maximum Bitrate = 6 Mbps. These can be lowered if we need to lower the file size.

In doing this, we seek to find a compromise between bitrate, file size, and quality.

Click OK, rename the customized preset in the preset name pop up, click OK,

and proceed to save the file to a hard drive location of your choice.

Check the estimated file size and duration before hitting Save. Stop if we made no gains on

the file size with these settings.

If you have a saved file with the wanted file size and quality, then upload it to

Vimeo at the Vimeo web site. We discuss alternatives later.

Please review and consider, and then let us know the results.

Thanks.

ATR

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.