1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 7, 2014 1:01 PM by A.T. Romano

Trying to use SmartMix function for tutorial audio ducking

Sminty

Hi. I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 11 and am trying to use the SmartMix feature to enact automatic audio ducting so that the music automatically gets quieter when the narration speaks. My problem is I think the music volume goes a bit too low every time this happens. I am trying to figure how out to make it so the volume doesn't go quite so low, but so far don't understand how. Can anyone help? Thanks!

p.s. I also have Adobe Premiere Pro CC but all my tutorials have been created in Elements 11 and I don't understand how to use Premiere Pro yet.... if the audio ducking functions are far superior and worth learning, then that advice would be appreciated as well, especially any guidance about what I need to learn. I understand plug-ins may be necessary? I am in over my head! Thanks again!

• 1. Re: Trying to use SmartMix function for tutorial audio ducking
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Sminty

I do not see any need to get Premiere Pro CC involved in this particular issue unless you need some other attribute of that program that Premiere Elements 11 does not have.

After you have applied Smart Mix and decide that you want the Soundtrack volume higher, I see at least two choices, both involving adjustment of

the Soundtrack volume.

1. In the Expert workspace, click and drag upward slowly the orange band that run horizontally across the Soundtrack clip. The orange band is referred to

as "rubberband" and, by default, relates to audio volume in the audio clip. Move the rubberband up to increase the volume and down to decrease it. Remember 0 dB = the volume of the original clip, not no sound.

or

2. With the Soundtrack selected/highlighted, go to Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded and adjust the Volume Keyframes there.

If you are not OK with keyframes, I will post a more detailed account of how that is done.

Try the rubberband way first.

We will be watching for your results. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR