• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is this "update" download legitimate

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've received a notice offering to download a Flash Player update, but I'm suspicious.  It passed the Microsoft Security Essentials scan, but it doesn't look like it's from Adobe.  The notice says "Program Name: ICReinstall_adobe_flash_setup.exe" and "Verified publisher: Astro Network (Fried Cookie, Ltd)".  When I look at its properties, it appears to have a legitimate security certificate.  I have downloaded the installer but not allowed it to install.  What is this?  Should I proceed or trash it?  When I go online separately to the Adobe site, it tells me that I have the current Flash Player, version 15,0,0,189 installed.  I am using a PC operating on Windows 7.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

This is definitely not from Adobe; you were right to be suspicious.

Only download updates from the adobe.com or macromedia.com websites.

But you already have the latest Flash Player 15.0.0.189 installed, so no update is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is definitely not from Adobe; you were right to be suspicious.

Only download updates from the adobe.com or macromedia.com websites.

But you already have the latest Flash Player 15.0.0.189 installed, so no update is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines