17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2014 7:48 AM by A.T. Romano

Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.

rhythmo

I've used Elements before at an old job but now am considering buying it for myself and my new little company. Want to make sure that the footage I shoot will work well in Elements. Thanks

• 2. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

rhythmo

What computer operating system is involved?

Whatever the case, you should go the free 30 day Premiere Elements 13 tryout route before purchase to assure the compatibility of your video source

with Premiere Elements 13 in your specific computer environment.

Premiere Elements 13 does not support Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Mac OSX 10.7.

Although Premiere Elements 13 does support AVCHD video compression, it does not support files wrapped with the  MXF format. Do you know the

file extension of the files that you would be recording?

ATR

• 3. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
            rhythmo Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for responding (you, too John).

I'm using a Mac OS 10.8.5. I've gotten the trial and it runs on my Mac, but the camera I plan to use is a rental so I can't do an actual test till i rent it.

The website of the rental place does not say what file extension is created when recording with the camera. It doesn't say anything about MXF.

It records on Memory Stick / SD/SDHC/SDXC Card and I plan to get a card reader to get it into Elements.

I suppose I could call them Monday to ask if they know the extension (it's already 6pm here) but I have my doubts if they'll know.

I assume in the worst case I'd be able to convert the footage into something that Elements likes.

Any other thoughts you have are very welcome!

Thanks again,

Erik

• 4. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Erik

Thanks for the reply.

I have started exploring the Internet to see if I could find some information on your camera's video files.

A Premiere Pro model is not always a satisfactory model for a Premiere Elements matter....keeping that in mind...

I found the following which suggests that the HXR-NX5E AVCHD video is associated with a mts extension, not .mxf. Good news of

sorts, but in the article cited, the camera's AVCHD.mts had to be converted to MPEG2 in order for it to be

edited in whatever the Premiere Pro version was

http://www.on9g.com/en/viewthread.php?tid=58310

I am strictly and Elements Windows user, so I am wondering if that AVCHD.mts will need to be converted to AVCHD.mov

or AVCHD.mp4 for editing on the Premiere Elements 13 Mac.

At this point, it would appear with 99.9999% certainty, you will not be facing the non supported MXF format.

More later.

ATR

• 5. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
                rhythmo Level 1

ATR,

Wow, thanks for looking into this. It seems like at worst I can transfer the data to a format that will be accepted by Elements. I think ClipWrap would work for that.

Obviously it would be better if I didn't have to - you would think Elements would accept whatever AVCHD formats exist - or perhaps it's that Sony always does things in a weird way (which I've come across before) and provides an unusual format?

I'm hoping that since that post you linked to is two years old, perhaps it'll work better on Elements 13.

Erik

• 6. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Erik

Looking forward to your results.

Any chance you going to Premiere Elements 13 Windows? I think the AVCHD.mts matter goes to the .mts part and a Mac computer rather than Premiere Elements itself and its compatibility with .mts wrapper. Mac seems to be .mov and .mp4 wrapper oriented. That is the impression from what I have read - never used a Mac computer.

ATR

• 7. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
                    rhythmo Level 1

ATR,

I'll definitely be using my Mac. I guess I'll give it a shot and convert the files if necessary.

This should happen in the next couple of weeks, I will be sure to follow up with results.

Thanks again,

Erik

• 8. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
                      rhythmo Level 1

Hi,

I'm hoping ATR reads this, as we had a great correspondence here about this topic already, but of course I am open to anyone's feedback:

I just yesterday completed the first portion of the shoot with the equipment rented as indicated above. The shoot itself went fantastic; I got back to the office and transferred the footage to my computer and successfully was able to import it into my trial version of Premiere Elements 13 (Mac OS 10.8.5).

However, after I initiate the import, I get an error message saying there is a problem importing the media. It seems to list every clip, as well as a few extra file types. See the two images below, the first shows the error window I initially see:

Screen Shot 2014-11-22 at 11.27.10 AM.png

The second shows the end of what is provided here, after scrolling all the way down:

Screen Shot 2014-11-22 at 11.27.24 AM.png

Although the first clip is highlighted (as shown in the first image), I don't believe this highlighting means anything: I tried clicking on it, nothing happens. I tried highlighting all of the choices, or just a range, but this is not possible.

After clicking OK, Elements does import all the clips.

It then seems to work fine except for one issue: during the shoot many scenes were shot with dual microphones which fed directly into the camera on individual tracks. These were either two clip-on Lavs or 1 Lav and the internal shotgun mic. I am absolutely sure that each channel was recorded discreetly and independently of the other, as I could always see the audio levels in the viewfinder moving independently of each other (and completely tested this before the shoot as well).

After importing directly into Premiere Elements 13 as described above (no transfer of format was necessary), Elements only shows 1 audio track, which I believe is a mix of the two I recorded. I made sure I had good levels while shooting so if I were stuck with this it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but of course I'd prefer to independent control over the audio tracks.

Any ideas how to get Elements 13 to see the two tracks separately? Should I be concerned about the error messages? I haven't tried converting the AVCHD file to another format as I naturally prefer as little processing as possible, but I could if someone thinks it might accomplish what I want.

Any help or feedback is very appreciated.

Thanks,

Erik

• 9. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
                        rhythmo Level 1

One more thing - when looking at the one audio track of a clip imported into Elements, I feel like the graphical representation of the data shows two audio tracks in the one. See this image:

Screen Shot 2014-11-22 at 11.43.16 AM.png

Is this indeed true?

Thanks,

Erik

• 10. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
                          rhythmo Level 1

still one more thing that may be helpful - a look at the properties of an imported clip in Elements:

Screen Shot 2014-11-22 at 11.21.13 PM.png

• 11. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Erik

Thanks for the follow ups.

As for the Add Media Failures....here is my take on what I am seeing....those .cpi files in the Add Media Failure lists appear to contain the metadata for the AVCHD mts stream. You should be importing just the AVCHD.mts not the .cpi files and the rest of those files shown in the Add Media Failure lists.

Does the screenshot in post 9 represent Timeline AVCHD.mts after its import into the project? What are you using for Add Media?

I am wondering if you could possibly be using the Video Importer in your Add Media route and trying to add non required files to the project?

Audio Track 1 waveform display reflects 2 channels (Left, Right - Stereo) which is confirmed in the imported video's Properties.

Whatever the number of audio tracks of the source, they will be combined in the one audio track that you see on Audio Track 1 after import of the file into Premiere Elements.

At this time, by question would be "Did you successfully import the AVCHD.mts with good quality video and audio at least at the Timeline level?"

Looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
                              rhythmo Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll try to respond and clarify as best I can:

"You should be importing just the AVCHD.mts not the .cpi files and the rest of those files shown in the Add Media Failure lists."

I believe that is what I am doing (importing only the .mts files), as it doesn't seem possible to me to import the other ones (the error message seems to indicate that they cannot be imported).

"Does the screenshot in post 9 represent Timeline AVCHD.mts after its import into the project? "

Yes, this is one of the clips I imported, which shows up as 00001.mts in project assets, after it has been dragged to the timeline.

"What are you using for Add Media?"

I clicked on 'Add Media', then chose 'files and folders", then navigated to the AVCHD on my computer which I copied to my computer from the SDXC card on which I recorded the data while shooting. This shows up as one big AVCHD file, within which are many clips.

"I am wondering if you could possibly be using the Video Importer in your Add Media route and trying to add non required files to the project?"

I don't believe so - as I wrote there is only the one big AVCHD file on my computer. This seems to contain some non-required files but I don't see a way to isolate the non-required from the required, and Elements seems to spit out the non-necessary ones anyway, as per the Add Media failure error messages. Something I am missing here perhaps?

"Audio Track 1 waveform display reflects 2 channels (Left, Right - Stereo) which is confirmed in the imported video's Properties.

Whatever the number of audio tracks of the source, they will be combined in the one audio track that you see on Audio Track 1 after import of the file into Premiere Elements"

So is it not possible to separate the 2 audio channels so that i can work with them individually? This is really the heart of my problem/question as otherwise it seems that I can work with the video just fine. As I wrote yesterday, even if I can't separate these it's still quite usable but I'd be happier if I can isolate and work with each channel of audio I recorded discreetly.

"At this time, my question would be "Did you successfully import the AVCHD.mts with good quality video and audio at least at the Timeline level?"

I believe so, though I'm not quite clear what you mean by "at least at the Timeline level". I added the media, it shows up as individual clips in project assets (which is exactly what I hoped for) and I am able to drag these into the timeline as I need them. My only issue (that I am as yet aware of) is that I would prefer to have the two audio tracks I recorded appear separately on tracks 1 & 2 in Elements so that I can mix/use them independently of each other. Is there any way to accomplish this?

Thanks again for all your input, I really appreciate it.

Erik

• 13. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Erik

You wrote

is that I would prefer to have the two audio tracks I recorded appear separately on tracks 1 & 2 in Elements so that I can mix/use them independently of each other.

I have not found that possible in Premiere Elements (any version).

With regard to the audio...there are certain audio effects (fx Effect/Audio Effects, that you can apply to the audio clip related to channel, like balance, Fill Right or Fill Left (for channel duplication), etc  Are any of those what you are seeking? If you want to alter the channels beyond the fx Effects, then best take the audio into a free audio editor such as Audacity, do the channel work there, export from there, and then import the Audacity export into your Premiere Elements project.

Have you had the opportunity to gauge the quality of your Timeline content taken to export as a file saved to the computer hard drive or a burn to disc product? If so, what is the video and audio quality of that export?

ATR

• 14. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
                                  rhythmo Level 1

Thanks ATR. I haven't played with those effects yet but I will. What I really want is to sometimes be able to use one of the audio tracks that I recorded or the other. Maybe using balance or pan I can accomplish that?

I don't think audacity will help because I don't really need to effect the channels, just isolate them when necessary (for instance if the shotgun mic is too boomy, I'd like to just use the clipon from the other channel).

I haven't yet had a chance to do a quality check yet, but I really have no reason to expect problems there. It looks good in the timeline. I have another shoot scheduled thursday and then get down to serious editing next week.

Erik

• 15. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Erik

Looking forward to more news on your results when your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 16. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
                                      rhythmo Level 1

Hi ATR and anyone else following,

Just wanted to report that I did rent the exact equipment I listed above, bought PE13 and have completed shooting and editing the project. Everything went very well and the client is thrilled with the outcome.

I have two questions about PE 13:

I noticed as a lot of flickering in the clips I used - both in the clips where I altered the speed and also in many ***** that ran in normal speed. I used "flicker removal" on almost every shot and am happy with the results. My questions is: does using flicker removal degrade the overall quality when applied? I didn't notice any quality loss, I'm just curious. Is there a way to apply flicker removal globally or must one do it scene by scene (as I did)?

I also ended up adjusting the brightness on many clips, under "adjust" on the top right. I felt I lit it pretty well but the added gave it a nice look, especially as the subject matter is a health clinic, it added a sheen that works well in what I wanted to project as a sterile, clean environment. Does this reduce the quality? (again, I didn't notice this, am just curious).

In case you're interested, the video is on youtube at: http://youtu.be/0umwzhNmMnY

Thanks again for all the help and feedback.

Erik

• 17. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Erik

Sounds like you are doing very well. I would stay with whatever you are doing and works for you. The quality of your video is very good.

As for Field Options' Flicker Removal or Anti Flicker Filter in Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded....

Typically this flicker issue is pointed at the interaction of the two fields in interlaced video. From what I have read, the feature is based on applying

a slight blur to the image. I see no way to do more than one clip at a time when you use the Field Options or Applied Effects route. Do you ever

get the opportunity to have your camera record progressive video instead of interlaced?

However, consider....for getting the same Anti Flicker for all the Timeline clips at one time...

1. Given clips A, B, C, and D on the Expert workspace Timeline and clip A highlighted/selected/displaying in the Edit area monitor.

2. Go to fx Effect/Blur & Sharpen/Fast Blur or Gaussian Blur and drag the effect from fx Effects into the screen, not into any of the clips on the Timeline.

3. When you do the effect drag into the screen, you will get a pop up to which you click Yes so that the Adjustment Layer for the Effect applies to clips

A, B, C and D.

AdjustmentLayer.JPG

If you want to adjust the blur with the Adjustment Layer in place, highlight/select the Adjustment Layer and adjust the blur in the path

Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Fast Blur or Gaussian Blur Panel expanded.

If you try that, please let us know how that worked for you.

Best wishes with your projects.

ATR

• 18. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
                                          rhythmo Level 1

Thanks, ATR. I rent the camera when I need it, so next time I have a shoot I will check out if it's possible to set the camera to record progressive video instead of interlaced.

I actually didn't know about the Anti Flicker Filter in the Applied Effects Tab, etc, I only knew about flicker removal in field options. I'll also check out applying a blur as an applied effects layer as a more global solution.

The client is indicating they want to do many more with me - something like 20 over the next two years, so I will have plenty of chances to experiment.

Best,

Erik

• 19. Re: Will Premiere Elements accept footage from a Sony HXR-NX5E camera? It is a pro line camera that records in AVCHD format.
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Erik

Great news of your progress and a very satisfied client. Very good news.

Please update us on your progress when you have the time. Your program observations

will be appreciated by all.

Best wishes

ATR