7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2007 4:07 PM by brado77

Using Flex 2 with/without FDS

brado77 Level 1
      I am presently designing a web architecture for a client, and ideally I would like to employ a Flex2 UI on a Tomcat/Java web server/server component framework (possibly Spring). I am trying to get a good handle on the necessity of Flex Data Services (FDS) in this architecture.

What am I really losing should I choose *not* to employ FDS, and is rolling the entire server side with standard Java technology fairly doable? Does anyone have any first-hand experience doing this which they could share?

Given an expert-level server-side Java experience level, I need to determine whether employing FDS is a necessity or not.

Thanks,

Brad
        • 1. Re: Using Flex 2 with/without FDS
          holmes_z06
          only if you want to pay the licensing costs.

We don't use FDS on our project, we just export XML. Might start using some SOAP in the future. There's no way we could justify the cost of FDS.

-Jason
          • 2. Re: Using Flex 2 with/without FDS
            brado77 Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: holmes_z06
            only if you want to pay the licensing costs.

We don't use FDS on our project, we just export XML. Might start using some SOAP in the future. There's no way we could justify the cost of FDS.

-Jason

Jason,

Thanks for the reply. How have you found the effort required to manage the XML transmitted by the Flex 2 app to the server-side? Has this effort been minimal, or have you found this minor? For the most part, unless I can identify something major that FDS provides to an org already versed in doing enterprise-class (J2EE) server development, I'm not quite seeing the need for FDS. I understand the description of FDS, and the synching / JMS capabilities, but I'm not sure that this can't be fairly easily managed with standard Java server objects (servlets, EJBs, or Spring POJOs). I don't want to get into discussing licensing, but there needs to be justification for such, especially at a per CPU rate, which is a common need for everyone.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has employed FDS, or is familiar with an org who has, who can speak specifically to the value add experienced through use of this product.

Brad
            • 3. Re: Using Flex 2 with/without FDS
              holmes_z06 Level 1
              We haven't gotten into much of the Flash->J2EE communication. We mostly just give basic queries to the server and react w/ the xml returned. We will start doing 2 way communication, but not until the end of the year.

I think FDS would be really cool to simplify and synchronize the J2EE model and the AS models. On the same token, I'm more than confident I can roll my own solution using servlets or SOAP w/o too much hassle.

I'd like to hear as well from somebody who's employed extensive FDS.

-Jason
              • 4. Re: Using Flex 2 with/without FDS
                EliteScientist
                I would start by saying Ease of Coding... FDS makes alot of server side calls and data serialization easy.

For example, there are classes that deals with paging and caching data with FDS...

I had to write my own data Paging classes and cursors that cached pages, and extended ListCollectionView..

not along all of the classes in C# .net

in other words, it was alot of code that could have been made easier with FDS
                • 5. Re: Using Flex 2 with/without FDS
                  brado77 Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: BaTMaNX
                  I would start by saying Ease of Coding... FDS makes alot of server side calls and data serialization easy.

For example, there are classes that deals with paging and caching data with FDS...

I had to write my own data Paging classes and cursors that cached pages, and extended ListCollectionView..

not along all of the classes in C# .net

in other words, it was alot of code that could have been made easier with FDS

BatManX (I always wanted to talk to Batman),

Thanks for the reply. I've written paging classes before too, not exactly fun work. And again, I don't want to get into an analysis of Adobe's licensing or pricing, but about your efforts to roll your own paging and synchronization -- what kind of effort was it to do that? Hours, days, months? I'm curious, as the associated licensing cost of FDS gives a lot of leeway in rolling your own code to do this.

I should also state that I'm not really wanting to focus on cost so much, but the real value-add of FDS.

Brad
                  • 6. Re: Using Flex 2 with/without FDS
                    EliteScientist Level 1
                    I would say it took about 2-4 8hr days. to complete and do some QA on.

I also ditched adobes object serializer because its slow as hell... when queries 5 pages of data with 25 rows per page, their object serializer took forever to return...

I changed it output for certain methods to return literal soap messages and created my own deserializer to deserialze to my classes.
                    • 7. Re: Using Flex 2 with/without FDS
                      brado77 Level 1
                      BatmanX,

Thanks a ton for the reply. That time estimate sounds in the ballpark, in the neighborhood of my similar effort I mentioned, and more than doable, and likewise, though I am sure you would have preferred to find the shoe fit perfectly, its always nice to have control at that additionally deep level of operation.

Brad