5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 6:12 PM by Dennis Whitehead

Hyperlink Text

C Clark

How do,I change the text of a hyoerlink?  It should be easy and intuitive but it is not.  Even in Story Editor.

• 1. Re: Hyperlink Text
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What kind of Hyperlink? To a URL, File, Mail, Page, or Text Anchor?

What version of InDesign? What operating system?

• 2. Re: Hyperlink Text
            Dennis Whitehead Level 1

I'll jump into the question about hyperlinks, slightly different.

In my Table of Contents, all of the page numbers link perfect;ly with each chapter heading - except one...

Screen Shot 2014-11-13 at 11.36.09 AM.png

Preface highlights from the word through the number, as does Chapter Two, but Chapter One is linked on there the black bar is shown.

How can I get it to link from the entire line, including the number 5?

• 3. Re: Hyperlink Text
              Dennis Whitehead Level 1

BTW - I created the TOC myself, not with InDesign, so I can't Update TOC.

• 4. Re: Hyperlink Text
                Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

Window > Interactive > Hyperlinks

1. Under the flyout, select Hyperlink Destination Options

2. You can define the destination and name the destination. (In my example I used Google)

3. If you change the text, you will need to select it, and then re-apply the link.

4. In my example, I reset the word Google to Search. Then I re-applied the link.

link.jpg

• 5. Re: Hyperlink Text
                  Dennis Whitehead Level 1

Many thanks for the detailed response!

I'm linking internally from my Table of Contents to chapter starts.

In my screenshot above, PERFACE links to page three across the entire line, as does CHAPTER TWO and all other chapters.

But, CHAPTER ONE only links as far as the black line goes. It doesn't link to the page when clicking on the number 5.

I've tried deleting, rewriting, cutting and pasting, and the result is always the same. It's just that one number that won't link.

Thanks!

Dennis