10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2014 5:42 PM by charleskoz

TOC entries "squished" against page numbers.. any fix for this?

charleskoz

I've just spent 2 hours experimenting in ID and searching the net for some solution to the problem where a TOC generates entries that ram right up against the page number either with a tiny leader or with none at all.

Like this:

1.2  This is a very long entry, a very long entry that butts up against the page number 123

What I want is:

1.2  This is a very long entry, a very long entry that butts up against the page
           number............................................................................ 123

I've seen complaints about this going back a decade. Is this still impossible to fix short of manual hard breaks? Seems hard to believe, so I hope I'm missing something. 

Thanks.

• 1. Re: TOC entries "squished" against page numbers.. any fix for this?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Set up your listing style with a right indent and a negative last line indent.

• 2. Re: TOC entries "squished" against page numbers.. any fix for this?
            charleskoz Level 1

Thanks for the reply. They are already set up that way, but that won't seem to force a break when the whole entry fits on one line.

• 3. Re: TOC entries "squished" against page numbers.. any fix for this?

True. I think you'll have to deal with those manually no matter what.

• 4. Re: TOC entries "squished" against page numbers.. any fix for this?
                charleskoz Level 1

It's kind of astonishing that this hasn't been corrected after so many years. It's a common problem and seems easily fixable.. just add a "minimum leader distance" entry in the paragraph style definition area for tabs.

I was hoping someone had some kind of fancy workaround for this. The idea of having to manually tweak an 1100-page book every time I regenerate it really bugs me, especially given how much work I put into removing all the manual kludges the previous developer of the document put in.

• 5. Re: TOC entries "squished" against page numbers.. any fix for this?

So think about doing something a little different...

Instead of a tab and leader, use several fixed width spaces (to make up the minimum distance) and either a right indent tab or a right-aligned tab and apply a character style to them that applies both No Break and a custom underline to replace the leader.

• 6. Re: TOC entries "squished" against page numbers.. any fix for this?
                    charleskoz Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

The truth is that I only started learning InDesign last week. It's been an induction by fire, and I've learned a lot, but I'm still pretty new and so I don't actually understand what you just said. Would you mind explaining it in more detail?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: TOC entries "squished" against page numbers.. any fix for this?

You really should do the styling as a nested style inside the assigned paragraph style for your listings. That will allow you to add additional thin spaces either sided of your fixed-width/tab group to which you can apply only the no break attribute (another character style) so the leader has some space around it for a nicer appearance.

• 8. Re: TOC entries "squished" against page numbers.. any fix for this?
                        charleskoz Level 1

Again, appreciate your time in responding, but I don't really understand what you are telling me to do. I've figured out nested styles but I don't get what you mean about thin spaces and I am more interested in the idea of using an alternative to tab leaders to fix my main problem, if someone can explain it. Thanks.

• 9. Re: TOC entries "squished" against page numbers.. any fix for this?

Sorry, out for my morning walk...

You can apply a leader to any regular type tab character, but not directly to a Right Indent Tab (do you understand what a right indent tab does?). Adding another regular tab beyond the column width and assigning a leader to that will also apply the leader to a right-indent tab, bu t it's a pain, and I prefer the look of a dotted underline anyway, which you can apply to any character or characters. That, by itself, does not solve the indent problem since it's not related to indents in any way.

Making up the space using fixed width spaces (em space, en space, etc.) is viable, AS LONG AS the spaces are not allowed to break (and keep in mind that these spaces are measured in relative units, so you need more for small type than you do for large type to achieve the same absolute distance). If you want a small amount if space between your listing and the beginning of the "leader," you have to add it as part of the characters to include before the number, whether you use a regular tab leader or an underline, and the same between the "leader and the number, so you might want o enter something like ^<^m^m^m^y^< (thin space/em space/em space/em space/thin space/right-indent tab -- and you can choose them from the flyout next to the field when you "show more options" in the TOC dialog) for the "Before Number" value instead of the default Tab.

You have the opportunity in this same dialog to adding a character style to those characters, but then you are not able to underline only the em space/tab characters. Instead, create two character styles, one that has no attributes other than No Break, and one that has both No Break and the custom underline for the leader. Now make a paragraph style to assign to the TOC entries with the right paragraph indent, the last line negative indent, and four nested styles: None up to 1 thin space, No Break through 1 thin space, No Break plus underline up to 1 thin space, and No Break through 1 thin space. This will keep the page number and the spaces together, and apply the underline to just the wider spaces and tabs, and as long as that white space/number bundle is wider than the paragraph indent you are guaranteed a minimum leader, with a line break if it won't fit in the available space.

• 10. Re: TOC entries "squished" against page numbers.. any fix for this?
                            charleskoz Level 1

Thanks. I ... think I can figure that out. I will give it a shot.